Sarah El Fitori embraces supporters in celebration after winning the CUSA general election on Feb. 12, 2024. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]

Sarah El Fitori has been elected president of the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA). 

All five referendums on the ballot passed with a voter turnout of 19.8 per cent.

Results were announced at CUSA-owned Ollie’s Pub and Patio on Feb. 12. 

El Fitori addressed the crowd following the announcement, thanking her campaign team and voters.

“Thank you so much for your support,” El Fitori said. “I hope to never let any of you down.”  

El Fitori received 1,234 out of 4,505 votes in the first round. 

Presidential election results for Carleton University Students’ Association general election released Feb. 12, 2024. [Screenshot from Carleton University Students’ Association]
Although candidate Sean Joe-Ezigbo garnered the most first-round votes, El Fitori garnered the most votes by the last round. 

According to CUSA’s electoral code, votes are calculated using a single transferable vote method. Votes are counted using the Hare Quota (total votes divided by total seats) and fractional transfers are used for candidates who pass the quota. 

“If no candidate has reached the quota in any round of voting, the candidate with the fewest votes will have their votes reallocated to candidates remaining in the running,” reads the electoral code. 

Burte Ariunbold was eliminated in the second round with 261 votes.

Finlay Maroney was eliminated in the third round with 348 votes.

Kamran Azizli was eliminated in the fourth round with 1,283 votes. 

Sean Joe-Ezigbo was eliminated in the fifth round with 1,832 votes. 

Students gathered in CUSA-owned Ollie’s Pub and Patio in anticipation of the general election results on Feb. 12, 2024. [Photo by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan]
Undergraduate students voted in favour of the creation of an Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion levy, as well as a First-year Transition levy. 

Students also voted in favour of an increased Clubs and Societies levy, and for the removal of the Millennium Promise and World Food Programme fees. 

The election saw 4,900 valid responses from undergraduate students, resulting in a voter turnout of 19.8 per cent. 

Chief returning officer Connor Plante said this was over a six-point increase in turnout from last year’s general election, which saw a voter turnout of 13.4 per cent. 

Plante attributed the increased voter turnout to several factors. 

“I think it’s a combination of more presidential candidates … the five referendum questions also seemed to drive a lot of engagement, as well as increased general CUSA get-out-the-vote efforts.”

Twenty-seven councillors were elected. 

El Fitori starts her term as president May 1 alongside the next set of vice-presidents, who will be elected by council at CUSA’s annual general meeting. 

Here are the newly elected CUSA councillors: 

Faculty of Engineering and Design: 

• Yahya Al-Khateeb
  • Nathan Brun
  • Ethan Buckarev
  • Marc Denault
  • Jaden Desveaux
  • Dana Sayed Ahmed
  • Aryan Singh

Faculty of Arts and Social Sciences: 

• Maira Bilgrami
  • Cass McIsaac
  • Zam Onwusah

Faculty of Science: 

• Ali Khan
  • Joanna Olagoke-Daniel
  • Pelumi Olagunju
  • Liam Orlowski
  • Dilkusha Sakiba
  • Maheeshan Sivanesan

Faculty of Public Affairs: 

• Akua Antwi-Adjei, 
  • Yafet Bizuneh,
  • Clara de Oliveira Borba
  • Emma Girvan
  • Mujtaba Hussain
  • Aidan Kallioinen
  • Miles Rowe

Sprott School of Business: 

• Gaurikh Appanah
  • Kieran Ritchie
  • Joe Sanchez

Special student seat: 

• Adam Burke

Featured image by Owen Spillios-Hunter/The Charlatan.