After reviewing the achievements of Carleton athletes this season and accepting nominations, the Charlatan’s sports editor has compiled the top 10 athletes contesting Athlete of the Year awards.

Voting will be available on the Charlatan’s home page until April 30.

Jack Cassar
Men’s football

Mississauga native Jack Cassar cemented himself as a pivotal part of the Ravens’ defence throughout the season. Cassar made the third most tackles in the OUA (6.3 per game) while also leading Carleton in total tackles (39) and sacks (4). 

As a result of his performance, Cassar was named an OUA All Star, Outstanding Stand-Up Defensive Player, U Sports First Team All Canadians and is CFL Draft prospect.

Maya Addai
Women’s rugby

It was another strong year for senior women’s rugby player Maya Addai who, despite losing all six regular games with the Ravens, made strides in individual achievements. 

Addai was a consistent starter for Carleton, was named an RSEQ First Team All Star and was one of five Ravens invited to the Team Canada Women’s U20 Rugby Training Camp in February. She also was the only current Carleton Athlete to take home an individual award at the 2019 Ottawa Sport Awards, winning the title of best rugby player in Ottawa. 

Zoë Williams
Nordic skiing

In her fifth and final year of varsity skiing, veteran Zoë Williams’ individual performances at the OUA Championships helped the Carleton Ravens women’s ski team bring home yet another banner. 

Alongside the team’s achievement, Williams was named a Women’s All Star and placed on the podium for all three of her individual races – earning one bronze and two silver medals at the tournament. 

Alexandre Boivin
Men’s hockey

In his last year as a Raven, veteran forward Alexandre Boivin used his experience, skills and leadership to help the men’s hockey team mark a new program winning record (25 games). 

Throughout the season, the Ottawa native had double digits in both goals and assists (10 and 12) across 26 games. At the end of it all, his stellar U Sports career earned him a deal with the South Carolina Stingrays in the ECHL. 

Dario Conte
Men’s soccer

While on their way to their first OUA title since 2005, midfielder Dario Conte was again the maestro on the pitch for the Ravens and helped lead his team to a 17-3 record and a fourth place finish at nationals.  

On an individual note, Conte earned the title of OUA East MVP for a second year in a row, and a spot on the U Sports First Team All Canadians. 

Michael Nevins
Men’s water polo

Senior Michael Nevins made a drastic change as a men’s water polo athlete this season after switching positions from an outfield player to team goalie. 

Yet, despite playing in an unfamiliar role, he helped take the Ravens to another gold medal match of the OUA championships where they finished with the silver medal. 

Marie-Eve Cote
Women’s hockey

Though just a rookie Raven, goaltender Marie-Eve Cote helped her team claim two-of-four victories this season against top-ranked Concordia (3-2), and rivals Ottawa (2-0).

When in net, Cote’s performances often kept her team in the game. She made a combined 68 saves between the two wins to give the team a lifeline looking ahead to playoffs. 

Alyssa Cerino
Women’s basketball

As a fifth-year veteran of the game, Alyssa Cerino’s leadership on the women’s basketball team was invaluable to a rookie-filled roster. 

In her third and final year as a Raven, Cerino started every game she played and helped the team adjust to a new coach, all while using her experience to lead the team in points per game (16.3). Cerino was also named an OUA First Team All Star.

Ryan Burnside
Men’s baseball

After making the move to the OUA, the Ravens baseball team found themselves taking home the silver medal thanks to the efforts of Ryan Burnside.

The veteran pushed the last-ranked Ravens through their first game of the championships and towards the silver. Burnside was named one of the tournament MVPs and an OUA First Team All Star.

Lloyd Pandi
Men’s basketball

The 2019-20 season was full of accolades for men’s basketball rookie Lloyd Pandi who instantly made an impact on the team. He led Carleton in scoring this season, while also averaging the most minutes played per game. 

His efforts both throughout the regular season and the playoffs helped Carleton claim the OUA Wilson Cup as well as the team’s 15th U Sports National title. On an individual note, he was named U Sports Rookie of the Year and was signed by the Ottawa Blackjacks. 

Feature image from file.