(Photo courtesy of Kaitlyn Tissington, the Ubyssey)

The RCMP is investigating after a swastika with the caption “Heil Hitler” was found in a University of British Columbia (UBC) residence March 16.

The graffiti was found on a chalkboard of a student lounge  at Nootka House in Totem Park.

Janice Robinson, director of residence life and administration at UBC, said the school is also investigating the incident.

She said a student leader found the swastika drawing in the residence and promptly removed it.

“Of course, this type of graffiti is not in keeping with residence standards. We strive to foster an inclusive and comfortable place to live that residents can be glad to call home,” Robinson said. “I’m glad that this is not a frequent occurrence in residence, but it is disappointing nonetheless.”

Though not many details are available yet, Robinson said if the culprit is found, the university’s intent is “to determine what consequence may be appropriate, and help the individuals responsible to reflect on their conduct’s negative impact on the larger residence community.”

She said students in the residence community, and specifically those in the particular building where the graffiti was found, have access to staff who are “offering support to individuals who report feeling distressed by this incident.”

Rabbi Chalom Loeub, co-director of the Chabad Jewish Student Centre (CJSC) – Vancouver, said the campus’ Jewish community was shaken by the incident.

“I was shocked and appalled by what I have heard,” Loeub said. “To see that there is still such hate is very disheartening especially in a place that people call home.”

Loeub said the CJSC’s response has been one of compassion for those affected by the graffiti.

“We have offered a lending ear and were there for anyone who felt bothered and wanted to discuss the incident at hand and reassured them that UBC is still a safe place too,” he said.

Vancouver Hillel, another Jewish student group, said UBC administration is taking the incident very seriously and that the RCMP is currently investigating.

“We trust that they will know how to deal with it,” the group stated. “Unfortunately we do not have all the information regarding this case, so we can not really give a concrete response based on speculations.”

Loeub said UBC “is taking the right action against the issue.”

“Should someone have been caught, whatever repercussions the law would dictate, would be the best course of action,” he said.