Back injuries and concussions plagued Sullivan. (Photo by Shamit Tushakiran)

Nagging injuries forced Brent Sullivan to retire from the sport he loved and back out of his commitment to the Ravens men’s hockey team last fall.

But just over one year and a clean bill of health later, he has a second chance to suit up on the Carleton blue line and continue what seemed like a broken hockey dream.

“It’s a good feeling to be back on the ice. It was definitely one of the longest years of my life,” the Carp, Ont. native said.

The Ravens initially recruited Sullivan a year ago after he wrapped up a four-year Ontario Hockey League (OHL) stint, but the injuries that troubled him throughout his junior career prevented him from being physically able to play last season.

“It eventually got to a point where I couldn’t play anymore and couldn’t take any contact, so I retired and thought it was the end of the road for me as a hockey player,” he said.

He said there have been two recurring injury problems that plagued him throughout his career.

“My back was the main problem that always stuck around ever since I got cross-checked in the back when I was 16. It’s something that I’m used to and will always have to deal with,” he said.

“I also used to deal with concussions, which are a very frustrating injury. But it’s been three years since my last one, so I truly believe that issue is behind me.”

Sullivan spent the year as an assistant coach for the Sarnia Legionnaires of the Greater Ontario Junior Hockey League (GOJHL) but he said watching the game from the bench made him determined to try and come back.

“I was very fortunate to still be coaching last year, so I got to stay around the game,” he said.

“Some say it was a positive thing, but it was also negative because I started to miss the game more.”

Being a part of the coaching staff near and during the playoffs was the turning point where he pondered whether a return to playing hockey was possible.

“I realized I still had the fire to compete again after watching them play,” he said. “So, I saw a doctor and trainer I knew from my playing days and began taking lots of baby steps to see if I could make a comeback. Being out of physical activity for eight months made it tough when I got back in the gym, but it was worth it.”

Ravens coach Marty Johnston said he was pleased to hear Sullivan was trying to get into shape for a comeback to hockey, and was very interested in bringing him back in the fold.

“He contacted me at the end of last season in April expressing a desire to come back to school and play hockey again,” Johnston said. “So we kept discussing, he worked hard in the gym, and now we’re glad he’s back on the ice with us.”

Johnston said he is excited to add the big, physical rearguard to the team, but said Sullivan’s skills on the ice weren’t the only thing that made the team target him.

“We liked who he is as a person first and foremost,” Johnston said. “On the ice, he’s a defensive defenseman who can also skate with the puck. I think he showed in his first game that he can play to the high level we expect from him.”

Sullivan wasn’t on the score-sheet in his first Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) game, which ended in a 6-4 loss against McGill University.

He said he is working hard to get back to the way he used to play, but hopes the injuries he’s dealt with are gone.

“Injuries are always something in the back of your mind, but when I get out on the ice I forget all those worries and just focus on the game,” he said.

Sullivan spoke candidly with the Charlatan just over one year ago about his disappointment of not being able to play. Now, he said he is excited to get an opportunity to redeem himself and continue playing the game he loves.

“People can doubt you and call you crazy for trying to get something you want,” he said. “But I now believe if you put your mind to anything, keep working hard, and want it bad enough anything is possible,” he said.