Natasha

Photo by Natasha Grodzinski
Photo by Natasha Grodzinski

MONDAY

Florals for winter? Groundbreaking. Or, at least, I was feeling horribly optimistic on a sunny Monday morning, so colour and pattern it was. If I’m feeling a bit bleak, it always helps to break up my monochrome tendencies. Be the season you want to see in the world, kids.

Coat: Topshop

Sweater: Thrifted

Shorts: Topshop

Boots: Zara

Sunnies: Ray-Ban (Also thrifted)

Photo by
Photo by Natasha Grodzinski

TUESDAY

I don’t have anything to say for myself, other than that some days are leather pants days, and some are not. Tuesday was definitely the former. And obviously, to avoid looking like I was trying too hard, I threw on a long, plain t-shirt. Definitely giving off those, “I’m clearly too classy to be here, but I’m here anyway,” vibes.

Coat: Topshop

T-shirt: Brandy Melville

Pants: Aritzia

Boots: Topshop

Sunnies: Ray-Ban

Photo by Natasha Grodzinski
Photo by Natasha Grodzinski

WEDNESDAY

Sure, it’s winter. Sure, it’s Ottawa. Being eternally optimistic/ignorant of forecasting means sometimes wearing a leather jacket when it is, in fact, freezing rain outside. Whatever. I stand firm in my belief that a leather jacket makes you instantly cool. I think the evidence speaks for itself.

A NOTE ABOUT THOSE BOOTS: If it hasn’t already been noticed, I wear those pointed-toe black boots almost every day. They don’t necessarily have good traction, so every day outside is like Disney On Ice, but they are supremely comfortable and look good with literally every outfit I own. This has been a PSA.

Jacket: Zara

Top: Topshop

Jeans: American Apparel

Boots: Zara

Photo by Natasha Grodzinski
Photo by Natasha Grodzinski

THURSDAY

Give me a turtleneck and a high-waisted skirt, and I’ll give you basically my entire winter wardrobe. I live in this kind of look, and I give thanks every day that the ’70s are on trend right now.

Coat: Topshop

Top: I’m pretty sure it’s from Value Village.

Skirt: Nordstrom

Boots: Zara

Photo by Natasha Grodzinski
Photo by Natasha Grodzinski

FRIDAY

Friday was a big day for me. Big, as in, I did not wear a black coat. Shock throughout the town. This is the peach coat of my DREAMS. You could probably fit three of me in it and I will rock it until I die. Light-coloured coats are tricky to keep clean in this world, but honestly, life is just too short not to wear it and say, “To HELL with you, coffee stains!”

Coat: American Apparel

Top: Brandy Melville

Pants: Zara

Boots: Zara

Jake

Photo by Ben Silcox
Photo by Ben Silcox

MONDAY

Simple, as ever, can be best. All you need is a warm, stylish sweater and the cold weather ain’t got shit on you. I will say I tend to favour darker colours in the winter. Well, year-­round, but especially in the winter. This outfit, dark purple blended with a dull blue, is an ideal combination. Just another manic Monday, am I right?

Sweater: H&M

Pants: H&M

Boots (every picture): Nevada

Photo by Ben Silcox
Photo by Ben Silcox

TUESDAY

My number one style advice is always to layer intelligently. Tim Gunn says, “Make it work.” I say “Layer intelligently,” and the poorly­-dressed people on the street give me a weird look and walk away. With my outfit here, there’s a lot going on, but it works because some thought went into how the silhouette and presentation would work. The white and grey cardigan under the light, black jacket makes it practical and it also looks pretty sweet, and the scarf brings the look together.

Jacket: H&M

Cardigan: Banana Republic

Scarf: Stolen from my friend Christy

Pants: American Apparel

Photo by Ben Silcox
Photo by Ben Silcox

WEDNESDAY

Much like this photo, some days you wake up and things are just out of focus. Especially in Ottawa in February. Haha! Again, I follow my cold bluish colour aesthetic, though it’s worth noting that this is a women’s sweater. Why? Because clothes have no gender and everyone should feel free to shop from any section of the store! Don’t confine yourself based on arbitrary gender-­based commercial layout schemes!

Button-­up: Thrifted

Sweater: H&M

Pants: Marc Jacobs

Photo by Ben Silcox
Photo by Ben Silcox

THURSDAY

When I started this week, I started to realize that even though I love my new winter coat (pictured in my Friday outfit below), I should also not forget about some of the others in my wardrobe that can make certain looks pop. For example, pairing this slick black coat with the vibrant yellow of this sweater makes for a striking image. I too often fall into a trap of laziness, falling back on the same looks, when I should always strive to diversify.

Coat: Britches

Sweater: H&M

Pants: H&M

Photo by Ben Silcox
Photo by Ben Silcox

FRIDAY

It’s Friday. Throw on your perfect coat and a bold scarf and fight your way to the weekend.

Coat: Zara

Scarf: Aphorism