Carleton’s students have voted overwhelmingly in favour for a fall break in an online poll sent out last week.

The fall break poll saw 8,258 students respond in one of the largest responses to a student poll or referendum the university has seen in recent history, according to Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) president Alexander Golovko.

About 70 per cent of respondents voted in favour of a fall break, Golovko said via email.

“Carleton University students have given the CUSA and CASG administrations a strong mandate to continue their work towards bringing a Fall Break to Carleton students in the 2013/2014 academic year,” Golovko said, referencing the two organizations behind the poll, CUSA and the Carleton Academic Student Government (CASG).

Golovko said CUSA and CASG have worked closely with university officials to make sure the mechanics of the fall break are worked out. The two organizations will now work with the university Senate to implement the break.

The poll results will be sent to the Senate’s Committee on Curriculum Admissions and Studies Policy. After reviewing the results, the committee will submit a motion for a fall break during the Senate’s November session, according to Golovko.

The fall break would consist of one week, starting with Thanksgiving Monday, according to the current proposal.

— with files from Samantha Halyk