Satsan said universities should better reflect aboriginal history. (Photo by Shamit Tushakiran)

Satsan (Herb George), the Wet’suwet’en Hereditary Chief of the Frog Clan spoke about how Canada needs to rethink aboriginal affairs to reflect a “new reality,” at Carleton’s fourth annual Katherine A.J. Graham Lecture Oct. 23.

Satsan is a long-time speaker for the Wet’suwet’en Nation and current president of the National Centre for First Nations Governance. He has played a pivotal role in advancing aboriginal self-recognition, self-government, and affirmation through awareness and progress in Canadian courts, as well as the protection of land title and treaty rights.

Satsan drew on his experiences in north-central British Columbia and growing up in what he calls “the height of social chaos.” Satsan said in his community this was caused by the relocation to reserves: violence, abuse,  and the already entrenched alcoholism.

“I’m a little kid, and I’m growing up and watching this and I can’t understand it. It’s like a big supernatural monster that wants to . .  . claw me and kill me,” Satsan said.

“And I made it my business at a very young age that I’m not going to let that happen.”

Satsan’s refusal to go to church and attempts to rally his peers to question their treatment was met by physical abuse in residential schools.

Later in his life, Satsan’s activism led to landmark court decisions including the Delgamuukw court case that went to the Supreme Court of Canada. The decision in that case placed emphasis on the oral histories of the Wet’suwet’en and Gitksan, by considering them permissible evidence, rather than hearsay.

When it comes to resource negotiation, it is important to use “open space facilitation” and to consult aboriginal groups on a government to government basis, along with any third parties, Satsan said.

Aboriginal groups have gained greater leverage in decisions on land use and title since this decision.

“It’s about creating a new memory in the minds of our children,” Satsan said. He spoke about his own son’s questions of what will happen to his aboriginal identity if their culture is lost.

“If we can put ourselves in that position, then I think we’re talking about the kind of Canada that we all deserve to live in. Where we all have our rightful place, and I dream for that day,” Satsan said. “I don’t want my children doing this and I’m just getting a little fed up with it myself. And I’m kind of tired of talking about it. But it’s important.”

Satsan said the challenge is to change the way history is taught and recognize Aboriginal People as the first people of the land.

Universities need to reconcile the “new reality” because they are the “oldest institutions but the slowest to change,” he said.

Carleton implemented its Co-ordinated Aboriginal Strategy a year ago, along with a task force on how to implement its strategy on the integration of aboriginal students, according to Katherine Graham, former dean of the Faculty of Public Affairs.

“I encourage Carleton University not only to continue this . . . not just in short little pitterpatter steps, but by leaps and bounds because it needs urgent action,” Satsan said.