Photo by Kyle Fazackerley.

Carleton’s residence wait list has increased from 250 students in 2013 to 328 this year, according to Natalie Allan, the assistant director of Housing and Residence Life.

Although first-year students are guaranteed a spot in residence, those who apply after the deadline often find themselves on the wait list by the time the school year rolls around.

“It’s very hard to predict . . . You can’t anticipate what’s going to happen next year, it’s a bit of a waiting game,” Allan said. “Other people have to say that they don’t want to live in residence anymore for us to fill those spots.”

Greg Snell, a first-year economics student, said he decided to remove himself from the list at the end of August and instead decided to live off-campus.

“It’s a little nerve-wracking because the school year is really close and I had no idea where I’d be living,” he said. “If I didn’t already have a residence in Ottawa I would have been terrified.”

Snell said he applied after the deadline and was wait listed.

“Missing the residence date was a very big mistake on my part,” he said.

Those who remain on the wait list when school starts might choose temporary accommodation depending where they are on the list, according to the housing department. The options usually include staying with family, friends, or in a hotel.
Allan said the housing department does not prioritize whether students get a place in residence based on where they are coming from.

This means international students coming from around the world, who may have little or no connections in Ottawa, have to find their own place to live.

According to Allan, international students are not treated any differently than other students.

Resources are available to international students in the International Student Services Office, which helps to provide these students with some support in finding a place to live. International students pay significantly higher tuition than local students.

While plans are in the works for a new residence building, “nothing has been confirmed,” according to Allan.