Graphic by Helen Mak.

Students are voting Nov. 10-14 in a referendum to decide whether to implement a fall reading week permanently before the results go to Carleton University Senate.

The fall reading week was implemented in 2013 on a test basis, following a promise from the “A Better Carleton” slate to reopen the issue if re-elected. With fall reading weeks in 2013 and 2014, the two-year test is now over.

Carleton University Students’ Association president Folarin Odunayo said the most important thing is for students to vote, whatever the outcome.

“I have my personal view about fall reading week,” he said. “But we’re just encouraging students to get out there and vote, to get your opinions across.”

Although students are invited give their opinion, the Senate will make the final decision, according to Suzanne Blanchard, associate vice-president (students and enrollment).

“Senate is reviewing the Fall Break and a part of this process is collecting student feedback to help inform their decision,” Blanchard said in an email. “The results of this poll will be taken into consideration at Senate for a final decision.”

Carleton students originally voted on the issue in 2012. Approximately 70 per cent of students voted in favour of the break. After the student vote, a motion was drafted and presented to the Senate, with the first trial break taking place the following fall semester.

Blanchard said anecdotal evidence indicates that most students like the break.

The referendum question details the changes to the university schedule as a result of the week, including exams on Sundays and an extra day of exams before Christmas break.

Nicholas Dumoulin, a fourth-year engineering student, said while the time off should be nice, it ends up being a lot more work.

“It’s difficult because it basically ends up that all our tests and all our midterms and assignments and labs end up being scheduled really close together versus being spread out, without the reading week,” Dumoulin said. “Our professors aren’t really able to do a whole lot to reschedule things, because the work has to get done either way.”