Hundreds of students from universities across Canada are raising money for charity by investing in the stock market this semester through a program called Capitalize for Kids.

The program is a not-for-profit that raises funds for children’s brain and mental health programs by holding Canada’s largest investors’ conference each year. This year, they’re also hosting the C4K Student Challenge.

Interested students sign up for free, and build their own stock portfolios over the course of the semester by taking part in a stock market simulation game. To be eligible to compete, participants must raise a minimum of $100 for the SickKids Foundation. Prizes for the top fundraisers include Apple products, access to an online financial course library, and a high-end professional outfit.

Justin Scaini, associate director of Capitalize for Kids, said it’s important that young people learn the skills of investing and building a stock portfolio.

While business students learn about finance theory and core skills in the classroom, they aren’t often given the chance to apply their skills in a real world setting, he said. The student challenge gives them the chance to do that.

“We provide a number of educational resources and content to help students choose their portfolios. They get to see in real time how their decisions impact the return on their portfolios and investments,” he said.

Capitalize for Kids chooses to donate funds to children’s brain and mental health programming and initiatives because of the number of people affected by mental illness in Canada, according to the program’s website.

“We felt like we had a responsibility to do everything that we could to help improve services and resources available to young people,” Scaini said.

Victoria Dubreuil, a fourth-year Carleton University commerce student, said she got to experience simulated portfolio trading in class, but has never invested with actual funds. She said the C4K Student Challenge is a great idea.

“It supports an amazing cause and gives students a great learning experience while also providing networking opportunities,” she said.

According to Scaini, some students across the country are even being graded on their performance. Professors from some universities—including Bishop’s University, Concordia University, and the University of Manitoba—are marking participation in the Capitalize for Kids challenge as extra credit in their classes.

As far as advice for young investors, Scaini said it’s important to follow the news, and keep up to date with the world around you.

“Ultimately the companies that [the students] pick and the stocks they choose are going to be impacted by the global context. Be very resourceful and keep yourself educated as to what’s going on around you,” he said.

Photo by Trevor Swann