Photo by Julien Gignac.

After finishing a can of pop or beer, think before just throwing it out.

Brett Babcock, a first-year communications student, is turning the tabs off aluminum cans into cash to help the families of children with disabilities afford wheelchairs.

“People don’t understand how expensive this kind of equipment is, as it’s basically just aluminum and a set of wheels,” he said. “But because it’s a medical device, companies will make people pay so much, as they know the government will subsidize it.”

In 2012, Babcock suffered a severe spinal cord injury that requires him to use a wheelchair. He said his experiences getting a wheelchair inspired him to start the fundraiser.

“My goal is to aid families, by helping them relieve their stress,” he said. “I understand what it’s like, and I want to be able to lift the burden.”

Insurance pays for 75 per cent of the cost for a wheelchair and only one every six years, which sometimes isn’t enough, Babcock said.

“Kids grow, they won’t stay the same size forever,” he said.

Since starting his fundraiser when entering residence in September, Babcock has collected an estimated five pounds of tabs so far.

With friends across residence and university, tabs off cans would be an effortless way to raise money.

“I collect everywhere I go, and I’ve never had a problem,” he said.

Babcock said he already has a lot of support from his hometown of Kingston residence students.

But he said there is still a lack of awareness surrounding his campaign on campus.

To fund a manual wheelchair, Babcock must collect approximately 17 million tabs, which he said he hopes to accomplish during his university career.

The price of a standard wheelchair is about $8,000, while more advanced wheelchairs can be anywhere upwards of $30,000.

But Carleton does offer some solutions.

The Carleton Disability Awareness Centre (CDAC) has the aim of having a student-run centre for students with disabilities. The centre’s mandate is to bring awareness to the student body and challenge their perceptions of disabilities.

“Carleton tries to put you in an environment where you can reach your fullest potential,” said Nathan Bragg, CDAC’s programming co-ordinator.

The centre has equipment available for students on loan should they need to rent things such as wheelchairs or crutches.

While the majority of students who borrow the equipment are injured, they can borrow it for as long as needed, according to Bragg.

CDAC also provides students with resources to get them in touch with maintenance groups in Ottawa to help them with their chairs.

Carleton is one of the most accessible universities in the country, housing the Paul Menton Centre (PMC), the only program of its kind in Canada where students on residence needing help for daily living can call for assistance 24/7, according to Dale Stevenson, the centre’s disabilities co-ordinator.

The PMC also offers optimal support for students with disabilities.

“We are always looking for improvements on eliminating physical and attitudinal barriers,” Stevenson said.

As for Babcock, Stevenson said the PMC is in full support of his mission.

“Brett’s definitely a valuable member of our disability community in Carleton,” he said.