All four presidential candidates were part of the debate. (Photos by Yuko Inoue)

Executive candidates met Jan. 27 to crown the Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) campaign trail with a debate held in the Unicentre atrium to a standing crowd and raucous supporters.

Recurring issues such as levies, the Canadian Federation of Students (CFS), and student engagement with CUSA resurfaced throughout the three-hour event.

Three of the four presidential candidates ran with slates. Folarin Odunayo represented incumbent slate A Better Carleton (ABC), Erica Butler headed Collective Carleton (CC), and Josh Noronha led slate Prestige CampusWide (PCW). The independent candidate was Ian Gillies.

Gillies wore a full-body lobster suit for the entire debate.

“I’ve made a lot of jokes throughout this campaign and throughout this debate. The question you gotta ask yourselves is, ‘Is this joke funny?’” he said.

Gillies said he was wearing the costume to combat student apathy towards CUSA.

All presidential candidates discussed student disinterest in CUSA.

ABC candidate Odunayo said CUSA can get students involved by making a strong campus presence through free merchandise.

Noronha, the presidential candidate of the two-man PCW slate, said he will get students involved by keeping them informed and letting them know they are there, “not just that we’re here with clothing.”

Butler said CUSA should be more approachable and accessible to all students.

Both Gillies and Odunayo focused their answers on how CUSA should relate to the CFS by saying CUSA should deal with local, Carleton student issues, rather than those of the nation-wide student union.

Butler discussed holding a referendum, and said students should have the option to de-federate from the CFS if they wish.

Noronha said the CFS levy of around $15 per undergraduate student is “not an absurd amount” of money, but said he would seek students’ input on how it is spent if elected.

This year, CUSA withheld the Carleton Food Collective’s (CFC) levy, insisting on seeing financial documentation to ensure the organization’s financial accountability.

Odunayo, the current CUSA vice-president (finance), maintained his position during debate. He said the CFC does not have a right to students’ money without being accountable.CFC members have stated their organization’s independence as a reason not to provide financial documents.

During the debate Butler said the Garden Spot, a pay-what-you-can campus food service run by the CFC, does amazing work and deserves the levy that was “democratically established” through student referendum.

The candidates said they have something different to offer to CUSA than past presidents.

Noronha said his lack of experience is one of his most important assets. He said he can look at CUSA in a new way.

Gillies said he has experience “because stuff has definitely happened to me before.”

Odunayo said he offers diversity.

“I am an African who grew up in South-East Asia who resides in North America,” he said.

Butler said her experience working at CUSA service centres makes her a good candidate.

PCW candidate for vice-president (finance) Kevin Pei chose to opt-out of the debate.

Vice-president (finance) candidates Taha Mourad (CC) and Reda Zarrug (ABC) discussed ways of managing student money. They talked about improving student businesses and clubs.

Zarrug promised a separate section of the grill at Rooster’s Coffeehouse specifically for halal meat, as well a fresh food market at Henry’s Convenience Store. Mourad said clubs and societies are important, and he would give more funding to active ones.

Vice-president (student services) candidates Riley Evans (CC) and Adil Tahseen (ABC) were divided on what should happen to CUSA service centres next year.

Tahseen said students need new services, including a print shop in the Unicentre. Evans said CUSA should focus on “promoting the things that already exist.”

Vice-president (student life) candidates Kim Nguyen (CC) and Rawan Abujoub (ABC) brought their ideas for new student events.

Nguyen suggested events such as hip-hop karaoke and sporting events at Oliver’s Pub.

Abujoub said she wants to make the Fall Orientation concert accessible to all students, as well as host alumni networking events.

The debate was moderated by Christopher Waddell, director of Carleton’s school of journalism and communications.