Graphic with letters
[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

At a meeting on March 6, Carleton University’s Board of Governors (BoG) approved the 2024-25 ancillary budget, which will increase student fees for the next academic year. The BoG also approved  $8 million for the demolition of a campus parking lot.

Fee increases for 2024-25

The board approved the ancillary budget for the 2024-25 year, which included the following proposed fee increases for students: 

• A 4.6 per cent increase in residence fees
  • A 6.5 per cent increase in meal plan fees
  • A 3.7 per cent increase in the athletic fee 
  • A minimum 3.7 per cent increase for the new Health and Counselling fee
  • A 10 per cent increase in parking rates

The increase in meal plan fees is due to the “continued increase of food and labour costs,” said Suzanne Blanchard, vice-president of students and enrolment. She added that despite the increase, residence costs remain “ very competitive” with other Ontario post-secondary institutions. 

An additional Health and Counselling fee was voted in through a March 14 to 15 referendum. Students will now pay an additional $25 per term to support campus mental health services.

Another student referendum on more athletic fee increases may occur during the next academic year. 

“We are way below the Ontario average [athletics fee], and we want to reinvest in terms of a fitness centre for the students,” Blanchard said at the meeting. 

The surplus generated by Carleton’s ancillary programs, which include Athletics and Food Services, is projected to be $4.3 million by April.

The budget projects a $32 million surplus next year, which Blanchard said will be re-invested in ancillary programs and services. 

According to Al Hamdani of the BoG finance committee, the ancillary budget is expected to generate more than $72 million in revenue in 2024-25, surpassing pre-pandemic levels of $69.5 million.

Lot demolition

The board also approved a projected cost of up to $8 million to demolish parking garage 9, which is beside Pigiarvik. 

In 2018, cracks were identified in some of the 55-year-old garage’s beams, but the lot is still used for parking. 

“It is safe, it is checked and monitored and maintained,” said Lorraine Dyke, Carleton’s vice-president of finance and administration. However, she said the costs of maintenance “are continuing to escalate.”

“It’s time to get it torn down,” said Christina Tessier, vice-chair of the building committee.

The site will be re-developed in the future, but in the meantime will be either grassed over or transformed into short-term accessible parking, according to Dyke. 

Originally, the cost of demolition was budgeted for $5 million, which was approved by the board in April 2023. However, due to the O-Train construction on campus, the City of Ottawa will require additional safety measures to be taken during the P9 demolition, driving the projected cost up to $7.885 million, according to Dyke. 

Funding will come through revenue from Carleton’s parking services. The demolition is planned for May 2024 and should be completed in the fall.

The board will meet next on April 30. 

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.