[Graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi]

Carleton University’s Senate voted to repeal the Academic Accommodations during Labour Dispute Policy, as well as to publish a statement condemning anti-Palestinian racism, antisemitism and islamophobia during its March 1 meeting. 

Academic Accommodations during Labour Dispute Policy repeal 

The senate passed a motion to repeal the Academic Accommodations during Labour Disputes Policy with 32 in favour and 25 against.

Passed in 2020, the policy stated that students are entitled to academic accommodations if a strike or walkout were to occur and disrupt academic activities for more than 10 days. 

Student senators and Carleton Academic Student Government president Francesca Lepore raised concerns about what repealing the policy could mean for students if a strike occurs again in the future.

This policy was implemented during the winter 2023 semester to provide Carleton students with a grading policy that allows them to change a passing grade to SAT, while failing grades will automatically change to UNSAT. 

This policy ensured that academic disruptions caused by the strike would not affect a student’s permanent record and CGPA.  

“We are concerned about what taking away a set framework [of accommodations] means for students,” Lepore said.

Other members of the senate reassured senators that passing the motion does not mean the senate will not try to accommodate students in the event of a strike.

Morgan Rooney, a contract instructor in the faculty of arts and social sciences, reiterated the sentiment and said that the senate can still pass motions protecting students.

“There is nothing the senate cannot do that it did last time if we remove this policy,” Rooney said. “Senate has the freedom to do all of the exact same things.”

Statement condemning anti-Palestinian racism, antisemitism and islamophobia 

Nir Hagigi, the Independent Jewish Voices Carleton president and a student senator, brought forward a motion that Carleton make a statement that unequivocally condemns anti-Palestinian racism, antisemitism and islamophobia. 

The motion passed with a majority vote. 

The statement reads, “The current conflict in Gaza has regrettably seen an alarming rise in global anti-Palestinian racism, anti-Semitism, and Islamophobia accompanying the outbreaks of violence.”

The motion affirms “the importance of fostering a culture of tolerance, understanding, and respect for religious and cultural diversity.” 

Carleton has published statements in the past regarding the war in Gaza, including Carleton’s zero-tolerance policy for anti-semitism and islamophobia. This statement is the first explicit condemnation of anti-Palestinian racism. 

It also “supports initiatives led by students, faculty, and staff aimed at promoting dialogue, reconciliation, and peace-building through academic collaborations, cultural exchanges, and grassroots advocacy efforts.”

Featured graphic by Sara Mizannojehdehi.

CORRECTION: A previous version of this article misstated that Nir Hagigi is the president of Jewish Voices for Peace. In fact, Hagigi is the president of Independent Jewish Voices Carleton. The Charlatan regrets the error.