Teaching assistant and graduate students at York University continue to strike, while contract instructors have consented to the university’s final offer.

The ratification vote took place March 9, where 1,300 members of CUPE 3903 decided whether their represented unit should comply to the conditions provided by York.

The settlement offered to the unions consisted of across-the-board health benefit increases, a rise in the transportation fund, an agreement that tuition will not increase for members over the course of the collective agreement, and a 1.5 per cent raise in wages across the units.

York administration said they would develop an anti-sexual violence campaign, and will compensate teaching assistants and graduate students for this training, but not contract instructors. Childcare benefits will also increase by $20,000 for on-campus centres, although there will be no addition to maternity leave policy.

Notable ratifications include a $4,000 bonus for contract instructors who design new full-year courses, or transcribe an existing one into an online curriculum. There was a refusal to include the LGBTQ as an equity group in all units.

Prior to the proposal vote on Monday, the CUPE 3903 bargaining team had recommended to reject the offer, but reminded its members that this was not required. Voting was done by secret ballot after a two hour discussion.

While Units 1 and 3 remain on striking duty, a press release from said the school was pleased to welcome their contract instructors back to their positions and remains hopeful of continued negotiations with the remaining union representatives.

Affected classes will remain suspended until further notice from the administration.