The Theta Psi chapter of the Sigma Chi fraternity at the University of Waterloo decided to take a stand against sexual assault by releasing a video in Nov. 2014 titled “Break the Silence,” in reference to starting a conversation about sexual assault and its prevention.

The video has recently gained attention on social media and national news.

According to Sigma Chi brother Andrew Smith, recent media attention and a surge in views of the video come from a panel discussion on March 2 held between Sigma Chi, the Sexuality, Marriage, and Family Studies department at Waterloo, and the organization Male Allies Against Sexual Violence.

Before the video picked up speed, there were about 3,000 views on YouTube, and since March 2 that number has jumped to almost 15,000.

Smith said about a year ago the Sigma Chi brothers watched a public service announcement (PSA) video released by the White House called “1 is 2 Many” with male celebrities and President Barack Obama calling for an end to sexual assault. He said it was this video which inspired the fraternity to make their own.

“As a male-based organization, especially in university, we have the responsibility to stand up, and to be a part of that fight to make sure it’s safe for people,” Smith said.

Because of their video, the fraternity has been written about by local and university newspapers, recognized by the CBC, the Huffington Post, Maclean’s magazine, and by Sigma Chi headquarters.

Smith said the response has been positive from the university and the Greek community at Waterloo.

Gareth Williams, president of the Eta Rho chapter of the Sigma Pi fraternity at Carleton, said his chapter is in agreement with Sigma Chi.

“We believe that the Greek community has a huge influence on the minds of young men and women and it is important that we are sending the right message,” he said in a statement.

Williams mentioned that brothers from Sigma Pi recently attended a workshop part of the MANifest Change campaign and are looking to continue working with the program.

“The campaign focused on the fact that sexual assault and violence against women is not a women’s issue but is instead a community issue. The program looks to not view men and boys as perpetrators but instead looks to empower them to be strong role models,” Williams said.

Sagal Yusuf, administrative coordinator at Carleton’s Womyn’s Centre, said she thinks Sigma Chi’s video is commendable.

“[There] can never really be enough dialogue . . . I don’t really think that we can just say ‘that’s enough for now,’” she said.

Yusuf acknowledged that it isn’t only women who are victims of rape and described how conversations amongst men and women make impactful prevention of sexual assault come about.

“I think it’s important to have fraternities and have men get involved in the conversation,” she said.

According to Yusuf, the discussion surrounding sexual assault awareness on campus is alive and well.

“Have the conversation,” she said. “Don’t be scared or shy away from it even [if] you feel like you might alienate people.”

“It affects all of us to a certain extent,” she said.