Along with 65 other Canadians, the president of St. Francis Xavier University was appointed to the Order of Canada Dec. 30 for his “community leadership,” according to a university press release.

Since taking over as university president in 1996, Sean Riley has focused his efforts on strengthening St. FX’s international reputation.

His efforts include securing a  $200 million investment in campus infrastructure and renewal projects according to the university’s website.

Riley’s work with improving the reach of the Coady International Institute, a Canadian establishment concentrating on leadership development education, has also earned him praise.

In addition to being a board member of the Association of Universities and Colleges of Canada, Riley is a member of the Premier’s Advisory Council on the Economy and the Board of Pierre Elliot Trudeau Foundation.
His work with StFX and the surrounding community has earned him past positions like the national chair of Canada World Youth and a board member of the Royal Society of Canada.

“Canada is served at so many levels by so many dedicated Canadians,” Riley said in a press release. “I am honoured to be appointed a member of the Order of Canada by the Governor General along with distinguished Canadians from so many walks of life.”

Other new appointments to the Order of Canada include former prime minister Paul Martin, retired general Rick Hillier, and former diplomat Robert Fowler.