Class was cancelled for the students of St. Francis Xavier University in  Antigonish, N.S. Jan. 28 after faculty members and support staff went on strike.

Faculty took to the picket lines at 7:30 a.m. following eight unsuccessful months of wage contract negotiations that have taken place over the last eight months, according to a press release from the St. Francis Xavier University Association of University Teachers (StFXAUT).

The strike continued Jan. 29. Peter McInnis, president of the StFXAUT said in the release that strikers do not plan to back down anytime soon, but that “[t]he AUT is ready to go back to the negotiating table at any time to achieve a fair settlement.”

Although there were no classes, students were encouraged to stay close to campus and to focus on their studies, according to Cindy MacKenzie, manager of communications and marketing.

“The university is saddened by the strike and its impact on students. The university has made a reasonable offer compared to national and regional settlements,” MacKenzie said.

MacKenzie noted that the provincial government recently cut funding to secondary schools.

According to the press release by StFXAUT, contract professors represent 36 per cent of the teachers’ union and carry at least a full-time teaching load, but are only paid $25,000 per year on average with few or no benefits and little job security.

MacKenzie reported the most recent offer by the university made significant improvements to job security and benefits. However, she was concerned the union executive did not share the details of the university’s latest offer with members.

The StFXAUT said the university administration has ignored their offer to return to the bargaining table thus far.

Students, too, seem to be divided on the issue.

Bryden Trapp, a first-year English student at St. FX, said she had no idea there would be a strike, and the parties shouldn’t have had to resort to such measures as it is stressful for all involved.

“It was hard to watch the profs become so divided . . . it adds more stress to us as students because we are worried about losing some of the semester,” Trapp said.

First-year business administration student Cody Reeves said he was similarly surprised by the strike announcement. However, he said the impact on students has been minimal and that so far “everything remains business as usual.”

It is unclear how long the strike will go on.