It was a night of history, discussion, and the ABC’s Jan. 31 at the Canadian Museum of Civilization or, as it will soon be known, the Canadian Museum of History.

Carleton journalism professor Randy Boswell joined four other panelists: community activist and motivational speaker Rachel Décoste, Ottawa’s tourism director Gilles Picard, author and historian Charlotte Gray and the world-renowned architect responsible for designing the museum, Douglas Cardinal.

The panel opened with an address from the president and CEO of the Canadian Museum of Civilization Corporation (CMCC), Mark O’Neill.

“We want Canadians to take part in the creation of this new exhibition. To that end we’ve launched the most ambitious public engagement process ever devised by our museum,” O’Neill said.

Over the past few months the CMCC has been canvassing the country to find out what aspects of Canadian history are most important to its citizens.

To stimulate round table discussion regarding the new Canadian Museum of History, each of the panelists was asked to choose a letter that best symbolizes their personal connection with Canadian history and how they want to fit that vision into the reworked museum.

Boswell kicked off the panel with a different take on the museum changes. He chose the letter “R.”

“Reality-check, because I think it’s important to put on the table that what’s happening at the museum isn’t universally popular, that it’s a source of debate, and that there’s a lot of concerns about the process,” Boswell said.

Décoste was next, explaining that her history museum would be a composition of narratives from many cultures. She chose the letter “U” for “uncovering” those stories and “unshackling” ourselves from a cold, colonial narrative.

She said that her Canadian Museum of History would help to “understand the historical perspectives of minorities, in contrast to the colonial discourse and to unleash the triumphs that make Canadian history surprising, alluring, entertaining.”

“Yes, I said entertaining,” Décoste laughed.

All eyes, ears and cameras were on Douglas Cardinal as he addressed the audience. More than once the other panelists and museum administrators referred to the iconic building as “Douglas Cardinal’s house.”

The seasoned architect chose the letter “A.” He spoke very idealistically of the Canadian art and architecture that has been created to reflect the dramatic Canadian landscape.

“To me the building had to be an organic, natural expression of who we are or could be as a people,” Cardinal said.

He designed the building to be able to “embrace change” adding that “it is one of the most intelligent buildings in the world” and not nearly living up to its full potential.

“I’m excited, really, about the possibilities, your vision, your ideas,” Cardinal said.

The round table discussions revealed that the public and museum stakeholders are very nervous about political influence playing into the reformation of the museum.

Mother, writer, and long-time museum patron Allyson Domansla said she sees the potential in a name and mandate change, however she does not want to see the interactive exhibits get cut. She believes that the new museum should “tell national stories through individuals.”

“I think the problem is not so much the name as it is the concern that there is a minister who has taken a very strong stand and role in the future of shaping the museum,” Boswell said.

The new Canadian Museum of History aims to incorporate all aspects of Canadian culture, everything from A to Z.

The museum will be fully renovated by Canada’s 150th anniversary in 2017.