The Sock 'n' Buskin Theatre Company 2023-2024 season lineup includes Macbeth, the Outsiders and Murder on the Orient Express. [Graphic by Alisha Velji/The Charlatan]

The spotlight is shining brightly on Carleton University as the Sock ‘n’ Buskin Theatre Company prepares to mark its 80th anniversary with an extraordinary 2023-2024 season lineup.

Kicking off the season from November 16-19 is William Shakespeare’s enduring masterpiece, Macbeth, followed by the Outsiders in January and Murder on the Orient Express in March. 

Directed by fourth-year English student Bo Doyle, Macbeth is set to transport audiences to a haunting world of ambition, betrayal and corrupting power. Killing his way to a prophesied throne pushes titular character Macbeth into a flurry of guilt and madness which threatens to destroy the kingdom.

Historically, Sock ‘n’ Buskin has chosen to include modern twists on their Shakespeare productions, but Doyle’s performance choice of Macbeth reflects his deep appreciation for classic Shakespeare. 

“I am trying to stick to traditional and authentic Shakespeare,” they said. “The audience can expect a show that is dark and not afraid to stay dark.” 

Macbeth is an iconic role that actor Alec Kyte, a fourth-year public affairs and policy management student, is thrilled to tackle. 

“Anytime you get to play a character that descends into madness onstage is a real treat,” he told the Charlatan.

While there are many challenges to performing a Shakespearean play, Kyte said the cast is rising to the occasion. 

“Getting used to the language of Shakespeare and trying to read that naturally is always a challenge, but it felt really good to give that first attempt,” Kyte said.

The excitement is palpable among the cast and crew, Kyte noted. 

“I think everyone’s pretty excited about the show,” said Emma Sleigh, an anthropology student who will be playing the roles of Angus, Caithness and Menthein.

Doyle said he feels excited and nervous as the production comes together. Currently, the cast has done a full reading of the script and started working on Act 1. 

“I’m really looking forward to seeing it all come together and be put onstage, but I’m a little nervous because we are running a tight ship and a tight timeline,” Doyle said.

In January 2024, the stage will come alive with the Outsiders, adapted by Christopher Sergel and directed by Smridhi Malhotra, a second-year global and international studies student. Navigating the turmoils of class conflict through a teenage lens, the Outsiders explores themes of friendship and violence. 

Malhotra said she chose this production by chance.

“I was reading [the book] at the moment proposals were going on,” she said.

She aims to enliven her enthusiasm for the play by incorporating stage combat and staying true to the script while adding twists that emphasize the 1960s Oklahoma setting.

The anticipation for this production is high and Malhotra is thrilled to direct for the first time. 

Closing the curtains on the theatre company’s anniversary season is the gripping Murder on the Orient Express, stage-adapted by Ken Ludwig and brought to life under the direction of Lindsey Keene, a fourth-year public affairs and policy management student. 

Set to run in March 2024, Murder on the Orient Express is a classic whodunit involving the Orient Express train’s passengers and an acute detective. 

Keene’s choice of this mystery thriller was inspired by her personal viewings of the movie and reading the script, which left her with a desire to explore the story’s profound themes.

“I felt that the audience could leave the show with a lot to think about, which is what I love,” Keene said.

As director, she said she’ll exercise ample flexibility in shaping the stage direction, welcoming unique creative touches to the production.

Behind the scenes, plans are underway to ensure this adaptation stays true to its source material while delivering an unforgettable theatrical experience. 

Keene is confident in the stage team’s diligence to bring Murder on the Orient Express to life. She said they’ve already started looking at set design, costumes and makeup. 

Keene shared her excitement about being a part of Sock’ n’ Buskin this year and learning from Doyle and Malhotra. 

“I have so much faith in the teams that are coming before me. They are led by some really incredible people,” Keene said. “Sock’ n’ Buskin has been doing this kind of timeline for 80 years. Clearly they know how to do it, so I’m not worried at all.”

Featured graphic by Alisha Velji/The Charlatan.