Home Arts Sock ‘n’ Buskin alum reprises role as Bat Boy at the Gladstone

Sock ‘n’ Buskin alum reprises role as Bat Boy at the Gladstone

237
Graphic by Marcus Poon.

If Zach Counsil is perfectly at home as the lead actor in the Gladstone Theatre’s production of Bat Boy: The Musical, it might be because he’s done it before.

Edgar the half-bat, half-boy was a Weekly World News media sensation in the ’90s. Bat Boy brings the character to life by following the story of his discovery in the wild, rough introduction to civilization and the realization of his intellect  — in musical form.

Five years ago, Sock ‘n’ Buskin Theatre Company staged Bat Boy at Carleton.

“[Counsil] walked into the auditions and there was no question,” said Dave Dawson, who directed Bat Boy at both Sock ‘n’ Buskin and the Gladstone Theatre.

“He was the only person who could play the part.”

That was the start of Dawson’s relationship with Counsil.

“He’s sort of my favourite actor to work with and he says I’m his favourite director to work with,” Dawson said with a laugh.

Produced by Juanita Bawagan, Sarah Jean Maher, and Lauren Coulter.

Dawson is a Carleton music and film graduate who has been directing for the past 15 years. He will also be directing Sock ‘n’ Buskin’s upcoming performance, Love’s Labour’s Lost.

Dawson said he enjoys working with the student-run Sock ‘n’ Buskin Company because it’s allowed him to work with actors like Counsil, who is an Algonquin graduate.

Rebekah Shirey is a Carleton graduate who was also part of Sock ‘n’ Buskin’s Bat Boy production. She plays Meredith Parker at the Gladstone.

Her character who has mercy on Edgar, adopts him, teaches him English and tries to protect him.

While the plays share the same title, the Gladstone’s will not be a remount. It will be a full production with a professional cast, Dawson said.

On one side of trees are fresh pine trees representing the “wild” of West Virginia. On the left is the bat cave that sits above the pit where a band produces a live score. And centre-stage is where the actors and actresses fly across the floor in a flurry of dance numbers.

Counsil said he loves the energy of the production. Beyond a familiarity with the role, Counsil said Bat Boy is something right up his alley.

“I like playing quirky characters,” Counsil admitted with a fang-y grin.

Bat Boy is only one of the characters Counsil has transformed. He counts a comedic pirate and a sexually ambiguous trickster among the many offbeat characters he’s taken on.

The prosthetic plastic ears seem like a natural extension of Counsil and his mastering of the Bat Boy mannerisms are uncanny. It’s not so much about expressions but the essence of character that he relates too.

Bat Boy is a story of an outsider and the audience really gets to see his growth, Counsil said.

“I’d be hard-pressed to find someone who couldn’t relate.”