The University of Ottawa and the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) have established an interim agreement in which the SFUO will continue to deliver services and activities to students from Dec. 25, 2018 to April 30, 2019.

In April 2018, SFUO’s former president Rizki Rachiq and former executive director Vanessa Dorimain, were suspected of fraud.

The claim said that they used funds collected by the University of Ottawa from undergraduate students for personal expenses and to finance an annual event called “LeaderAction.”

After completing a forensic audit, the fraudulent claims against the SFUO were found to be false. Despite the results of the audit, the University of Ottawa decided that the SFUO will no longer be recognized as their student union after the end of the fall semester.

As a result, the SFUO has been trying to collaborate with administration to restore student services, including the food bank and foot patrol.

In November 2018, executive members of SFUO and the Federated Body President’s Round Table decided to design a new agreement so that the SFUO can represent undergraduate students. With the support of more than 1,000 signatures in under two weeks from a petition and an interim agreement, the SFUO will continue functioning as the University of Ottawa’s student union.

In a press release, Paige Booth, the interim president of SFUO, said the interim agreement created from the SFUO’s efforts to collaborate with administration “has led to an improvement in the uncertain situation that was created.”

Booth said guaranteeing student services is the SFUO’s “top priority” and she is thankful the interim agreement allows student services to run until April 2019.

The 10-page agreement outlines five articles that the SFUO will guarantee including the management of levies, continuation of services, and causes for termination.

Through the interim agreement, the SFUO states that they are working towards maintaining transparency and regaining trust of the student community.

In a press release, the SFUO states that the agreement will not only manage “health, transit, clubs, and other amenities but [strive] for justice, equality, freedom from fear, student assistance and other needs.”

The SFUO has been working towards providing clear communication to students through their new Accountability Agenda and the Forensic Audit report that proved that the previous executive members did not commit fraud.

While Booth said her priority is to deliver services to students, she “welcomes the opportunity to debate the role and value of the student federation to students and the educational experience at the University.”

Currently, there are two executive members of the SFUO, as four members have resigned last fall.

There will be a referendum on Feb. 11, 2019 to elect a new executive group to be the voice of undergraduate students.

File photo