Valentine’s Day need not be depressing for single people.

No seriously, I promise. I’ve been single for most of the Valentine’s Days in my life, and although I’ve spent a few curled up in a ball drinking wine, mostly I’ve found a strategy to help myself get through them. Luckily you’ve still got another week to prepare, so here are some more fun ways to spend Singles Awareness Day (even if cuddling with your cat watching movies can be enticing).

Write a love letter to yourself

Self love and self confidence are things I’ve learned to embrace in the past year, and writing a letter is a really cathartic way of relieving stress. Instead of writing what you want in a significant other, write a letter about the things you are proud of accomplishing, and what you hope to accomplish in the future. You can brainstorm how you are going to self care and self love for the next year. Another favourite confidence boost I have is describing yourself the way someone who was in love with you might (hint, they don’t see your flaws). Do it however you like, and then post the letter wherever you see it often. And make sure to end it with “I love you, (name).” Self love is a powerful thing—if you don’t truly love yourself, you’ll never find it with someone else.

Masturbate

Here’s the obvious one. Even if you don’t have a partner at the ready, you’ll always have some sex potential on hand (pun intended)—and there’s no one who knows how to make yourself orgasm more than you do.

Host a party

You have other single friends. Celebrate your single status by hosting a movie night, a spa night, or an all bash. One of the best parts of being single is the ability to have more time to spend with friends, so do that. For a fun twist, make it a themed party. My personal favourite is formal wear, but maybe that’s because I like the excuse to buy a new party dress.

Get dressed up

It’s no secret that looking great makes you feel great—but on Valentine’s Day, try dressing up from underneath. Dig out the sexy lingerie you have that you might have bought on a whim and then got intimidated by the lace, or felt too silly to wear. Even if no one else sees it, being sexy needs no audience.

Go out to a bar . . . alone

Just don’t be dumb about it—stay safe. Tell a friend where you’re going, watch your drink, and don’t get super wasted. Going out alone can be a nice time to reflect, and sitting at the bar can often make you new friends. Valentine’s Day can be one of the best days to people watch, whether or not it’s a common date place. Go have fun, be spontaneous, and let the energy of the night take you in its arms. I always like checking out places I wouldn’t normally go, and I have always had an unexpectedly great time. And, if you’re looking for some Valentine’s Day loving, well, other single people also hang out in bars!

Go see a show

It could be a movie, a play, a poetry slam, or even an art installation, but grab a friend and go see creativity in action. Put on some fancy duds, grab dinner before, and enjoy the night. This is a great option if you want to catch up with that friend you haven’t seen in a while.

Sure, there will be couples there, but don’t fret. As Michael Buble says, “you just haven’t met them yet” (P.S. this song is my Valentine’s Day theme song).

Whatever you end up doing, get creative. Valentine’s Day can be the best day of the year, if you let it.