First off, who doesn’t love a good underwear sale? A panty and bra set for half price, something to spice it up and empower you when all else feels dull and tiresome? I know I do, and I love browsing the internet searching for the recent trends.

However, how do I know if I’m cluelessly supporting the cultural undertones that single-handedly degrade women? I like Victoria’s Secret, La Senza, and La Vie en Rosebut do these companies exploit or celebrate the female body? These questions haunt me in my day to day life. Does liking Victoria’s Secret garments make me a bad feminist?

When we objectify bodies, we degrade them to the stature of an inanimate thing. When we empower them, we boost autonomy and self-determination.

Now, let’s apply this idea to the media and the fashion industry. Do the Kardashians’ online presence boost both their own autonomy and self-determination, and that of their global audience? Or, are they merely selling their sex appeal and superficial beauty to boost their social media following? The thing is, I’m sure people would argue that their position in society alone accomplishes both—but again, is that healthy?

Or, think of the  the eminent Victoria’s Secret fashion show. Ten years ago, the idea of Amazonian women parading around in little-to-no underwear would be deemed nothing but pure masculine entertainment. But today, it is viewed as an event which merits a musical guest and a plethora of celebration.

I, myself, have been entertained by these clips that can be found on, well…every Instagram feed, ever. But, what is this event selling? Sex? Beauty? Or, is it merely allowing women to love themselves without false modesty?

The truth is, I don’t know the answer to this question. I think the line between these two drastic methods of advertising has been amalgamated. The distinction, however, is made in our interpretations. It is time to embrace the good, such as companies that embrace female bodies as they are, stretch marks and all. 

If an individual isn’t able to find self-love and agency out of what they’re selling, it’s objectification, not empowerment. If a different individual finds it in themselves to embrace their vulnerability and exposure, it’s empowerment.

As women, we owe it to ourselves to see Victoria’s Secret as a friend and not an enemy. Whether size small, large, medium, and anything in between. Does it really matter? Sexy is sexy, and there shouldn’t be a marketing tool that targets one specific mold.

When we see fashion campaigns that are exploitive, it is our duty to voice that. When we see a campaign that embrace the good, we should voice that, too. It’s easy to demonize the mediabut in the end, who is it hurting? The media has been and always will be there. It will shame, exploit, damage—and, in the end, its resiliency will win. But, why play the victim? Let us allow the content that matters influence us. The rest can rot, alongside the rest of the shit that determines patriarchal beauty.

Photo by Jasmine Foong