When I pick out my Halloween costume this year, I plan on bypassing all the mainstream packaged costumes that range from slutty Alice in Wonderland to slutty Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.

As if defacing characters from my childhood isn’t enough, I know too many girls who use Halloween as an excuse to throw on the scantily clad slut suit and call it a costume.

When did we go from pretty princess to practically-nothing-there?

One of my girlfriends said it’s an excuse to be that person you normally aren’t so you can justify dressing up as a slut, and in some cases it can be fun because it isn’t a normal occurrence.

I spoke to someone who explicitly told me he believes oversized women shouldn’t be dressing slutty and should, instead, opt for scary.

Another one of my friends said it’s easy to think of a slutty option and means that either you’re a slutty person by nature or you aren’t creative at all and simply want attention for your costume.

I’m not saying if someone wants to be a belly dancer or a yoga instructor they shouldn’t because they’d be ‘“showing too much skin.” More like, they shouldn’t simply take a costume idea and turn it into a push-up-bra hang-my-thong-out fiesta.

I think Halloween has the opportunity to be truly creative and original. Why not showcase how unique your ideas are . . . instead of purchasing an $85 Wonder Woman costume with less fabric than your corset.

I think much more credit is given to creative costumes. It’s easy to throw on your bra, panties and a pair of costume cat ears, but it takes real thought and talent to think of something as creative as jailbreak Lindsay Lohan or a nudist on strike.

And in all honesty, you’ll be jealous of the girl in the gorilla costume when you’re freezing your ass off in your skimpy sideshow swag on Halloween night.

Editor’s note: Robin S. Cherry is not the author’s real name. It is an alias for a current Carleton undergraduate student.