(Photo by Lori Chan)

Wrapping up 70 years of theatre at Carleton University, Sock ‘n’ Buskin Theatre brought its latest season to a close with a silly, high-energy, anything-but-expected rendition of Shakespeare’s A Midsummer Night’s Dream March 15.

Bursting with surprising moments of ad-libbed hilarity and modern twists that had the audience laughing out loud, this was Shakespearean comedy like you’ve never seen it before.

For director Drew Rouble, that’s exactly as it should have been.

“I really identify with the rag-tag sort of approach,” he said. “I think there’s something appealing about sort of being a pirate and hoisting your Jolly Roger flag and saying we don’t care about how it’s supposed to be done . . . we do it our way, and our way works.”

Sock ‘n’ Buskin is the oldest student-run theatre company in Canada. Rouble, who is about to finish his masters in biology, said that’s all the more impressive given that Carleton doesn’t have a drama program.

But Rouble said that’s a large part of why they have such a diverse cast.

“I’m a scientist, I run the company,” said Rouble, who is also the co-artistic director alongside Matt Hertendy. “We cater to anyone and everyone, whereas, I feel, if there’s a theatre program and they were doing theatre it would be for the theatre kids. And I don’t like that, because theatre isn’t for the theatre kids. It’s for people.”

Kevin Nimmock, who played Peter Quince, said the company is as much about personal growth as putting on a good show.

“Being in theatre teaches you a lot about how to be a person, how to be a good person,” he said. “It’s a lot about teamwork, and knowing yourself and trusting yourself . . . I have a lot of confidence issues sometimes, and I think theatre is great for that because it helps me be more out there and be confident.”

Rebecca Pyrah, who played one of the Pucks—the play split the character into two roles—said the company’s longevity is likely due to the people who comprise it.

“If the people have been anything like us and the people that run this company, 100 per cent that’s why,” she said.

Rouble shared that outlook.

“The people who get involved, the people who run it, just like theatre. They just like doing it,” he said. “I think that’s the most important thing in determining longevity.”

In today’s world of instant access to film and television, Pyrah said the unique quality of live theatre makes it stand out.

“It’s a different experience than our generation is used to,” she said.

This is Rouble’s fifth and final year with the company. Still, he said he thinks there’s every chance Sock ‘n’ Buskin will be around for another 70 years to come.

“I certainly hope that whoever replaces me and whoever replaces Matt . . . keep doing theatre for the right reasons,” he said. “There’ll be no reason why Sock ‘n’ Buskin can’t keep on going until Carleton University burns to the ground.”

Rouble said there will always be a need for Sock ‘n’ Buskin at Carleton.

“I think it’s important just to give people that opportunity, if even only once, to be silly and make a fool of themselves onstage,” he said. “Because at the end of the day we’re all just fools, and we’re all just silly people trying to make our way. And I think it’s good.”