[Graphic by Angel Xing]

The Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) councillor byelections begin Oct. 17 with 12 seats to fill. There are seven students running for two vacant councillor positions for the Sprott school of business. 

Eligible students will receive an emailed ballot and can submit their votes until end of day Oct. 19.

The Charlatan asked each candidate to send a brief written profile. Profiles have been edited for length and clarity and are listed in order of receipt.

Shelley Zhou

[Photo provided by Shelley Zhou]
Hi, I’m Shelley Zhou. I’m a first-year commerce student, concentrating in finance. I’m also from Ottawa. 

I have a ton of interests, but to list a few, I have an Etsy business, I love LEGO, I’m a foodie and I love going to concerts. Of all the music I listen to, my favourite would have to be Lana Del Rey, The Neighbourhood, Cigarettes After Sex and M83. 

I want to run for council so I can make meaningful change in our school for all students. I will make sure all students have a voice, feel included and feel safe. I will also hold the executives accountable for all of their decisions. I will listen to the students’ opinions, ideas and criticisms. 

I will ask the students what they want, whether in person or on Reddit. I assure you I will do what’s best for the people.

Zeba Munira

[Photo provided by Zeba Munira]
My name is Zeba Munira. I am in my second year doing a bachelor of commerce with a concentration in international business. I was born in Bangladesh and raised in Qatar. I am a huge Marvel fan and a soccer fan. Hopefully, I will be watching the FIFA World Cup in-person this year. 

I am a passionate and motivated individual who aims to advocate and create positivity within my community. This goal moves me in numerous ways, such as being a front desk employee for CUSA, as well as a Sprosh facilitator this past fall. 

Being an international student, inclusivity and empowerment are essential to advocate for—not just to ease a transition into a new place, but to ensure various perspectives, voices and contributions are amplified and upheld. Just recently, I was hired as the international student representative for the Sprott Business Students’ Society. 

I am running to be a CUSA Councillor for Sprott to be a voice of representation for international students and Sprott students. My experiences have shaped my skills and abilities to assist students in a variety of ways.

If I am chosen to be a Sprott CUSA councillor, you can be rest assured that the Sprott students will be heard.  

Suvi Chabra

[Photo provided by Suvi Chabra]
Hey there. My name is Suvi Chhabra and I’m in my third year majoring in accounting and finance. I was born in India and my family moved to Canada when I was about 6 years old. 

I love playing sports such as volleyball, badminton and cricket, watching TV shows such as The Office and Brooklyn 99, and eating food such as butter chicken. 

Throughout my past couple of years in Sprott, I have been super involved in the community. I am currently the vice-president (internal) for the Sprott Accounting Students’ Association. In my role, I help throw banger events for accounting students. I have also prepared many students’ tax returns as a volunteer. I have been a Sprott Business Students’ Society athletics committee member, a DECA delegate, a Sprosh manager and more.

Now, I hope to join the CUSA council to represent Sprotties and make sure everyone’s voices are heard. I am hardworking and easy-going, and will be sure to represent Sprott in the best way.

Sanjay Kiru

[Photo provided by Sanjay Kiru]
I’m Sanjay. I have a see food diet where if I see food I will eat it. I’m running to be on CUSA council since I love talking to the students at Carleton University and hearing their concerns. I hope you can consider me as your CUSA council member. 

Samuel Easby

Photo provided by Sam Easby]

Hi, my name is Samuel Easby and I am running to be one of your Sprott representatives on the CUSA council. I am in my second year studying international business in French. 

My goal is to be a voice, not just for Sprott interests, but for students as a whole. I will always support and champion what I believe is in the best interest of students here at Carleton. Some values that I personally believe in are advocacy for clubs and student fee transparency.

I believe getting involved in clubs while at university is an important part of the school experience and a great way to find passions. I also believe that we as students are crowded with small fees without enough access to see how we benefit from each one. This is something I wish was more transparent. 

I hope that I can count on your support for this upcoming election.

Mia Phillips 

[Photo provided by Mia Phillips]
Hi everyone. My name is Mia Phillips and I am a second-year student in the Sprott school of business. You can often find me around the Nicol Building as it is my favourite place to work. I am part of the Innovation Hub through launch ventures, as well as the Sprott Business Students’ Society as a public relations manager. I’m also a member of Sprott Ace.

My goal is to represent Sprott students and fight for their best interests. I believe in a strong sense of community and making sure everyone’s opinion is heard, respected and considered. I want to continue to make sure that the Sprott students are getting the support they need. I also want to encourage students to advocate for what they believe in and to be that voice on CUSA council for Sprott students. 

I promise to represent the Sprott students with passion, diligence and strength.

Parshmeet Singh Juneja

Parshmeet Singh Juneja did not provide their profile in time for publication.

Featured graphic by Angel Xing.