[Graphic by Angel Xing]

Carleton University Students’ Association (CUSA) councillor byelections begin Oct. 17 with 12 seats to fill. There are four students running for three vacant councillor positions for the faculty of science. 

Eligible students will receive an emailed ballot and may place their votes until end of day Oct. 19.

The Charlatan asked each candidate to send a brief written profile. Profiles have been edited for length and clarity and are listed in order of receipt.

Naheed Howlader

[Photo provided by Naheed Howlader]
My name is Naheed Howlader. I am an international undergraduate student in my second year at Carleton University. 

I am pursuing a bachelor of science in biotechnology and biochemistry with an endeavor of becoming an accomplished biotechnologist or biochemist. My experience as a student has taught me the necessary skills to effectively manage and work with a large team while meeting expectations.

Last summer, I interned at my high school as a teacher for four months before coming back to Canada and it was one of the best experiences I have ever encountered. My main position was working as an athletics instructor. I also engaged as a substitute teacher for different subjects like biology, mathematics and physics. I enjoyed the time that I spent with my students, which helped me polish my communication skills.

Working as a CUSA councillor will allow me to foster skills like leadership, teamwork, communications, organization and public speaking. It will also allow me to interact with people from different backgrounds. I am an open-hearted person and I care about your interest and your voice.

Maheeshan Sivanesan

[Photo provided by Maheeshan]
My name is Maheeshan Sivanesan and I am a first-year computer science student at Carleton University. I am a huge Toronto Raptors fan and I enjoy talking about basketball. 

As a former member of my high school’s student council, empowered student partnership team and equity & inclusivity club, I can confidently say that I’ve got the experience to advocate for your concerns. 

I am running for CUSA science councillor so that if I get elected, I can add it to my resume, have the opportunity to prove my strong leadership skills and advocate on your behalf. 

If elected, I can assure you that your voice will be heard. I will try my best to make your time at Carleton a great one and to remove any barriers that may prevent that from happening. 

I’m counting on you to count on me to make an impact.

Saad Khan

I’m Saad, a fifth-year science student with a minor in political science. I’m running to advocate for students on issues in academics, equity and inclusivity and student life.

I’ve been a CUSA engineering and design councillor for the last two years. As a councillor, I advocated for improved mental health services and accommodations, tutoring services for upper year students and more networking opportunities. 

I also advocated for a more inclusive CUSA and electoral reform, something the student body demanded for quite a while. Further, I created the international students’ advisory committee last year to advocate for international students in terms of tuition, mental health resources and equity and inclusion. I also had the pleasure to serve on the academic resilience committee where I helped distribute $26,800 in financial aid to deserving students.

Being a CUSA councillor for the last two years has provided me with enough experience and knowledge to carry out the responsibilities and be an effective advocate for students. If elected once again, I will continue doing the good work I’ve done over the last two years and will build upon it. 

As always, I’ll hold CUSA accountable to make sure it works in the best interests of students.

Parihan Parihan

[Photo provided by Parihan Parihan]
Hello everyone. My name is Parihan Parihan and I’m in my third year of health sciences with a concentration in chronic disability and a minor in American Sign Language (ASL). 

I decided to run for this position because I want to represent the voices of science students on CUSA council. My experience as the current vice-president (internal) of the Carleton Science Student Society makes me the perfect candidate.

In my position, I work closely with science students, help guide them and have their voices heard with the office of the dean of science. 

Working with CUSA would simply be an extension of my current duties. I have the experience, the connections and the abilities to excel in this position.

Featured graphic by Angel Xing.