Carolina Hurricanes vs Ottawa Senators November 9, 2019 PHOTO: Matt Zambonin/Freestyle Photography/OSHC

The evening of Nov. 9 was triumphant for the Ottawa Senators, their box office and a multitude of raving student hockey fans.

Not only did the Senators drub the visiting Carolina Hurricanes 4-1, the atmosphere in three particular spectator sections was crackling with enthusiasm from post-secondary students.  

Donning their respective school colours, fans from Carleton, the University of Ottawa and Algonquin College were present thanks to the Sens Student Rivalry Night, promoted by the Sens Student Army.  

As primarily a ticketing program, the Sens Student Army usually offers discounted tickets to students from any of Ottawa’s three post-secondary institutions for select games. This year, however, the Student Army sought to enhance the students’ experience and entice more ticket sales by emphasizing their presence in the stands.

“We’ve never had anything where we really highlight that the schools are coming to the game,” Nicholas Ryan, Ottawa Senators’ sales manager and overseer of the Sens Student Army explained.  

“We wanted to take at least one or two of those games a step further … and play off the budding rivalry that uOttawa and Carleton already have while including Algonquin in that as well.”

Students who bought tickets through the Sens Student Army were encouraged via email to buy seats in specific sections that were sequestered for fans from specific schools.  The result was three conglomerations of fans in the stands: one clad in Carleton’s black and red, one in uOttawa’s garnet et gris and one awash with the green of Algonquin.

The comradery of sitting amongst friends and the tension of sitting next to rivals fuelled palpable noise from the spectating students.  

“I thought that really improved the morale of the arena,” Jack Moulton, a Carleton student in attendance at the game noted. “Excited university students, you know, they’re usually the most passionate bunch.”

Students were also involved in activities throughout the game. At one point, a random row in a student section was presented with Skip the Dishes gift cards, and at each intermission students from the rival schools competed in mini-games on the ice. The representatives from Carleton won at each intermission, which resulted in Carleton receiving the Sens Spirit Cup, yet another incentive for students to buy tickets and show up to games.

The primary incentive for student ticket sales, however, is the discounted price.

“Typically, one of the biggest sticking points for students is that they don’t have a lot of money,” Ryan said. “So we offer $25 tickets, which is our least expensive ticket for any game.”

Moulton concurred on the gravity of discounts, deeming the reduced price an “extra incentive” for his appearance at the game.

Beyond merely lowering costs, however, the Sens Student Army tries to improve the accessibility of NHL games for students in multiple ways. At Carleton, the Sens Student Army collaborates with the Student Experience Office to distribute the tickets, while also interfacing with the Rideau River Residence Association to raise awareness of upcoming games.  

Carolina Hurricanes vs Ottawa Senators [Photo by Matt Zambonin/Freestyle Photography/OSHC]
The Sens Student Army also recently adopted a new selling platform called Fevo to facilitate the purchase of tickets for students.  Instead of signing in and punching promo codes themselves, students can buy the discounted tickets “in three clicks” directly from a Sens Student Army email.

So far this year, the Sens Student Army has sold roughly 2,000 tickets to students from all three schools, a total with which Ryan is pleased. He’s therefore excited for the next Student Rivalry Night, scheduled for a Jan. 31 matchup against the Washington Capitals, where the student experience is primed to be somewhat different from the last.

“On the ninth we had a large portion of our in-game experiences … dedicated to Air Canada,” Ryan detailed, referring to the ‘Fan Flight’ initiative where lucky fans are flown out with the Senators to watch an away game.  

“So on Jan. 31, our student rivalry night actually has a larger focus. We’re going to be able to include more students on the screen and more activities on the ice throughout the game.”

New York Islanders vs Ottawa Senators. [Photo by Greg Kolz/Freestyle Photography/OSHC]
Ryan also hinted at the possibility of the Sens Student Army running buses to and from campus to accommodate students living in residence each way, stripping another deterrent and ideally boosting student turnout.  

“It’s not positive yet,” Ryan warned, as the possibility depends on ticket sales and relieving insurance concerns. “There are some liability issues there.”

Regardless, the aim for the next Student Rivalry Night is simple: to replicate last game’s swash of students cheering for the Senators and jeering at each other.

Feature image provided.