Ravens men’s basketball set a season-high scoring record in one of two back-to-back home games this past weekend.

After two weekends on the road, Carleton was back in the Raven’s Nest, where they defeated the Lakehead Thunderwolves in a close 80-69 win, and then the York Lions 129-44.

Friday night’s matchup versus Lakehead was a close one, with back-and-forward action being the story for most of the game. At the end of the first half, Carleton held a tight 37-36 lead.

Carleton pushed ahead in the third quarter to take a 61-53 lead, but Lakehead fought back hard throughout the fourth. Luckily for the Ravens, some late three-pointers helped them take an 11-point lead, and they finished the game with the win.

Coach Taffe Charles was happy with the win, but acknowledged that it was a tough game versus the current top-ranked team in the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) Central Division.

Munis Tutu handles the ball against Lakehead. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
“I think we thought it was going to be a close game and we invite close games,” Charles said. “I think at the end of the day, we want close games, don’t want blowouts.”

The Ravens were limiting starters’ minutes, tightening the result. Several rookies got time on the court, as well as a few players coming back from injuries.

“They gotta get on the Queensway, it’s a hundred miles an hour, and they’re going 60,” he said. “We’re just trying to right the ship, and again, we’re just happy with the victory.”

Charles and his team had more reasons to be happy on Saturday, as they toppled the York Lions with an 85-point scoring difference.

It took almost four minutes for York to get its first two points of the game. By that point, the Ravens had 11. Carleton finished the first quarter up 32-7, then doubled their scoring in the second to lead the Lions 64-20. 

The Ravens were just shy of scoring their 100th point of the game at the end of the third quarter, leading York 99-35. In the fourth, they didn’t hold back, finishing the game 129-44.

This lop-sided victory was the largest scoring margin for a U Sports basketball team this season. Carleton also had the highest-scoring game in all of U Sports basketball this season.

Charles seemed to be in a very bright mood at the end of the game. He was calmer than usual on the bench throughout the second half. Around the locker rooms after the game, he was all smiles as he caught up with some of his former players from the Ravens women’s team.

Charles said he was happy about the win and that his players were respectful of their opponent. Going into the game, he knew that York was sitting at the bottom of the OUA Central standings.

“I thought we started off well, I thought we took a little bit of their heart away, and that’s what you gotta do if you’re a good team,” he said.

Charles said that the guys had a good reason to celebrate after extending their so-far perfect season record. But it’s also time to start preparing for next weekend’s games, he added.

“Maybe take a couple minutes tonight to celebrate the victories, but we’re right back at it at midnight. It’s time to get ready for Laurentian,” he said.

Yasiin Joseph calling the play in the second half against Lakehead. [Photo by Spencer Colby]
Raven’s veteran guard Yasiin Joseph was happy about the weekend’s victory. He said the defence stepped up versus York and met their goal of holding them to 44 points.

“Today’s game was the epitome of our defence,” Joseph said. “That was our goal throughout the game, to not let them score 50, and we did that.”

Joseph added that the team was more focused on Saturday, resulting in a greater team effort.

“Everyone touched the ball, everyone came out focused, made shots, and that’s what we want to do every game,” he said. “We want everyone to get involved.”

Carleton remains undefeated as they head into their final home games of this half of the season, which will all be played at the Raven’s nest.

Feature image by Spencer Colby.