Feature image from archive

Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is one of the most common mental health conditions worldwide, affecting approximately 5% of the global population

The developmental disorder, ADHD, is characterized by several symptoms unique to each person. Symptoms commonly associated with the disorder include impulsivity and difficulty concentrating. 

Actively participating in class is crucial to academic success. This includes listening attentively, studying, and focusing throughout long lectures. This seems straightforward, but students with ADHD may face difficulty engaging in these behaviours, which can lead to poor academic outcomes despite these students’ intelligence and desire for success. 

ADHD is frequently and unjustly associated with laziness and lack of discipline. Thankfully, there is a scientific explanation for what goes on in people’s minds with the disorder. Using neuroscience to understand how the brains of students with ADHD differ from neurotypical students may ease stigmas about the condition—and potentially aid those struggling with ADHD. 

Underactive prefrontal cortex volume (PFC) 

Research has shown that people with ADHD have less prefrontal cortex (PFC) activation. The PFC is the brain’s frontal area, and it’s responsible for self-control, decision-making, attention and much more. 

What can you do?

Certain lifestyles, activities and practices can strengthen the neuronal activity in the cortex, while others dampen it. 

Exercise has been shown to increase frontal cortex activity. In addition, playing certain games, cooking, learning, and math can also improve your executive function. 

On the other hand, stress has been shown to weaken the PFC, which means managing your stress is essential. Anxiety management activities can help to maintain stress and anxiety levels. 

Overactive default mode network (DMN) 

The default mode network is a brain network active during mind-wandering and thinking. When we focus on a single task or fully immerse ourselves in an activity, it is less active. 

People with ADHD have increased DMN activation, which might explain increased distractibility. This means lower activation in the DMN leads to increased attention and cognitive control. 

What can you do?

Meditation! Daily meditation decreases DMN activity over time. However, it’s vital to remember meditation does not work overnight: rewiring your neurochemistry takes time, repetition and consistency. 

Atypical reward system activity (major dopamine pathway)

The third component of the brain implicated in those with ADHD is the reward system, one of the major dopamine pathways. 

Dopamine is a neurotransmitter that helps with motivation, anticipation and learning. Dopamine also gives us a sense of pleasure. ADHD brains have dysfunction in their reward system, causing them to lose interest quickly and seek stimulation (dopamine) elsewhere. People with an atypical reward system may need help to delay instant gratification for long-term rewards. This can pose challenges when studying.

What can you do?

Dr. David Huberman, a neuroscientist at Stanford University, has offered a few tips on “hacking” your neurochemistry and improving your ADHD symptoms naturally. First, he suggests taking cold showers in the morning, which are theorized to release dopamine and adrenaline. 

Huberman also suggests cutting out sugar, reducing instantly gratifying behaviours (a “dopamine detox”) and seeking reward within activities outside of immediate gratification. This means training the mind to find pleasure in the process of difficult activities. 

Can you really rewire your brain to improve focus? 

These tips and tricks may or may not “cure” ADHD, but they are shown to alleviate symptoms. Discussing any mental health treatment plan with a professional is crucial to treat and manage ADHD.

Feature image from archive