The YouTube video shows students crawling through slush and snow while facilitators yell at them like drill sergeants. (Photo provided)

A video showing Ryerson University engineering students crawling through slush as part of a seven-year “tradition” is being condemned by the school’s president.

Describing the incident as “completely unacceptable” and a misrepresentation of the school’s “positive and supportive culture,” Ryerson University president Sheldon Levy said the school does not condone the event.

“There is no excuse for the completely unacceptable activities that took place,” he said in a statement released March 23.

Many are now calling the event a form of hazing and initiation after a video of the event surfaced on YouTube March 21.

Video uploaded to YouTube by genuinewitty

In the video, engineering students are seen crawling and dragging themselves half-naked through slush and ice.  Former frosh leaders armed with water guns and snowballs egg them on and are heard yelling at students “get down, get down!”  At one point, one of the leaders slaps the behind of a female student before telling her to “get down.”

Organized by Ryerson’s engineering orientation committee through the Ryerson Engineering Student Society (RESS), the event is held every spring for students who want to become frosh week leaders.

In a statement given to the Toronto Star March 24, RESS said the event was completely voluntary and a way “to build school spirit and help engineering students bond.” For frosh week hopefuls, it’s a chance to earn their “covies,” (a pair of engineering coveralls) to wear during the upcoming fall orientation.

Although representatives from RESS continue to publicly defend the event and insist that it wasn’t a form of hazing, some engineering students outside of Ryerson disagree.

“I would definitely consider that to be hazing,” says Emefa Kuadey, a third-year civil engineering student at Carleton University.  “I would have refused.  I find it so degrading.”

In light of the video, organizers of Carleton University’s 2013 EngFrosh said they encourage a “safe space” environment in accordance with the school’s human rights policy.

“We would like to make it clear that EngFrosh does not engage in any form of event similar to that that was depicted in the video,” organizers Emily LeMay and Jamie Barresi said via email.

But despite the public backlash, some students are still undecided on the issue.

“It’s definitely hazing but it’s definitely being blown out of proportion,” said Jack Agopian, a fourth-year mining engineering student at the University of British Columbia, adding that other campus groups engage in hazing as well.

Ryerson University executives met with the leaders of RESS March 25 to discuss the incident and will not be taking further action, according to another statement from Levy.

“We have very strong policies in place that have been invoked immediately to deal with those involved,” Levy said.  “Anyone who contends it is ‘just fun’ or ‘builds community’ has no place at Ryerson.”

RESS could not be reached for comment.