Bechmanis was with the Queen's Golden Gaels from 2007-2011. (Photo provided)

There are a lot of factors that go into running a football team — a solid coaching staff, good recruits, and money are three of the biggest ones.

With a little under a year until their first training camp, the reborn Carleton Ravens football team seems to have all of that going for them.

Former Queen’s University Golden Gaels special teams co-ordinator Ryan Bechmanis recently signed on with the team as defensive co-ordinator, and Ravens head coach Steve Sumarah seemed delighted to talk about his latest addition to the coaching roster.

“His knowledge of recruiting is second to none in the country. He seems to know everybody from Grade Three up,” Sumarah said with a laugh. “He comes with a great pedigree and he’s sort of at that time where he can take a step up, and he brings a lot of energy and a lot of passion so we’re excited to have him for sure.”

Bechmanis said he’s looking forward to the opportunity to be a part of building a team from the ground up, but added that there’s a lot more work that has to go into it.

“There’s just lots of different things we have to do,” he said. “There’s no structure and no framework so that’s something we have to create.”

Recruiting continues to be the team’s biggest priority.

“In our database, I would say we have probably over 600 names that we’ve had some level of contact with,” Sumarah said. “Now we’re paring it down to about 160 of the guys that we’re most keen on, and hopefully we can convince them that this is the school and the team to be a part of. Our goal is to get 70 of them.”

Sumarah also said he plans to hold an open tryout at Carleton in January.

“There’s guys playing for the [Ottawa] Junior Riders, there’s guys playing midget football in Ottawa, there’s guys that have played football in different parts of the country that have come to Carleton as students,” he said. “And now they have the opportunity to come play football.”

According to Bechmanis, recruiting the right type of player is about more than just what’s on the field.

“Aside from the biggest, strongest, fastest kid that’s on the field, we definitely look for character in the kids,” he said. “We want them to be respectful, honest, and hardworking. We know they’re going to be ambassadors for the school and ambassadors for the program so we want to do it right.”

Off the field, fundraising for the team continues through Old Crows, Inc. The alumni association held their first annual 100 Hole Golf Challenge Sept. 18 at Loch Marsh and raised over $20,000 for athlete bursaries and scholarships, Bechmanis said.

“Unfortunately the weather cut us a little short but I think we got over 80 holes in per person,” he said. “Weather aside, it was a great day and a great start to this inaugural event and it just showed a lot of support that the Old Crows have for us.”

Each participant in the tournament had to fundraise an entry fee of $2,000. Many participants were Old Crows themselves.

“It’s incredible. The people involved in this, their enthusiasm for this just carries over into the program,” Sumarah said. “The Old Crows have been nothing short of phenomenal in support of this program.”

Sumarah said he feels good about where things are at with the team.

“Getting the full-time coaches in place has really made a difference,” he said. “We’re still working hard on sponsorships, on donor relations, alumni relations, the facilities are starting to get built which is exciting.”

“I feel like we’re on target,” he added.

“It may be a different answer come March but at this point we feel like we’re ready to roll come next August.”