File photo.

Directed by Bryan Singer

Distributed by 20th Century Fox

X-MenDays of Future Past succeeds as the franchises latest entry since transitioning to the big screen 14 years ago. Consisting of returning classic cast members: Hugh Jackman, Patrick Stewart, Ian McKellen, Shawn Ashmore, Ellen Page, Halle Berry, and returning new faces to X-Men: Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender, James McAvoy, and Nicholas Hoult, audiences will be pleased with what returning director, Bryan Singer, has to offer audiences.

Days of Future Past‘s plot revolves around a present-day catastrophic war between humans and mutants. The X-Men decide to send Wolverine into the past to find Charles, Magneto, and Mystique to stop events in 1973 that spiral into present day ruin.

The backbone to Days of Future Past is undoubtedly its cast. The three actors, out of the star-studded ensemble, that steal the show are Jennifer Lawrence, Michael Fassbender and Hugh Jackman. Jackman has appeared in all of the released X-Men movies, whether done through a cameo or leading roles. Audiences are familiar with what he adds to Wolverine which usually make actors easy to overlook compared to the new talent, but Jackman still never slips under the radar. His timing, movement and delivery are always on point. It continues to draw leading attention from the other cast members.

Crowd favourite Jennifer Lawrence gives a flawless performance as Mystique. The growth between her initial representation as Raven in First Class to Mystique in Days of Future Past is undeniable. She continues to live up to her public expectations and praise. Her chemistry with Michael Fassbender cannot be denied. They are ideal to watch together.

Fassbender’s performance as Magneto alone is divine. He is commanding and brings the history we have seen of Magneto these past 14 years to his deliverance. He is the most impressive in the cast.

The music in the movie was composed by the film’s editor John Ottman. Ottman’s score is excellent. Throughout the majority of the movie, it is sparse. It creates a tone for the audience without overpowering the scene. The softness to the music is also used during intense scenes which was an effective choice. The music has epic moments as well. His music matching with Fassbender’s solo performance creates one of the best, yet simple, scenes in the movie. Ottman’s dual job as editor and composer allows him to control how the music and scenes tie together.

Singer’s directing is the glue that brought all the strong aesthetics together to create a fun and intense experience for X-Men fans. The social layers, which X-Men has never failed to provide, are continually drawn out and add to the film’s quality.

Despite a few obvious plot holes, audiences will enjoy Days of Future Past for its interesting plot, great cast, direction, and music.