In the early 2000s, pop-punk music dominated radio stations around the world. One of the many great Canadian acts to break out on the international music scene was Sum 41 of Ajax, Ontario. After the releases of early hits like Fat Lip and In Too Deep, Sum 41 reached a level of fame where they were often labeled as one of Canada’s responses to popular American punk bands Green Day and Blink-182.

But Sum 41’s time in the spotlight did not last forever. Over the years, core members of the band announced their departures, and frontman Deryck Whibley was forced to deal with a serious alcohol addiction. After taking some time off to rebuild as a band, Sum 41 returned, and on Oct. 7, they released their highly anticipated sixth studio album, 13 Voices.

Their first studio album since 2011’s Screaming Bloody Murder, 13 Voices features the Sum 41 debut of drummer Frank Zummo. In 2015, Zummo replaced Steve Jocz, who left the band in 2013. It also features the return of lead guitarist Dave “Brownsound” Baksh, who last recorded with the band on 2004’s Chuck. 13 Voices is Sum 41’s first album with Hopeless Records, the California-based label who signed them in May 2016.

On June 28, Sum 41 released “Fake My Own Death,” the first song and music video from 13 Voices. Whibley’s aggressive vocals and Baksh’s slick guitar riffs combine to create a nostalgic hardcore pop-punk sound that is similar to the sound of Sum 41’s earlier work. The accompanying music video is a clear reminder of Sum 41’s quirkiness as a band, as it depicts the five of them performing on a rooftop as their urban surroundings are destroyed by cartoon characters, internet memes, and celebrities.

Other outstanding songs include “There Will Be Blood,” “God Save Us All (Death to POP),” and “Twisted by Design.” They all provide a new, full sound, quite different from Sum 41’s earlier work.

The most poignant track on 13 Voices is the album’s first single, “War,” a song written by Whibley while he was in the midst of his battle with alcohol. In 2014, Whibley announced on Facebook that he had been diagnosed with liver failure as a result of heavy drinking. The lyrics of “War” provide a genuine, hopeful message of resilience and recovery.
[vsw id=”waixG1Dhr3w” source=”youtube” width=”600″ height=”400″ autoplay=”no”] Sum 41’s sixth studio album has lived up to the hope and expectations of the band’s many loyal fans. 13 Voices is not just a phenomenal punk-rock album—it is a meaningful story of facing challenges and overcoming adversity. Sum 41 is not the same band they were fifteen years ago. In fact, all of the members of Sum 41 are well into their 30s, with the exception of guitarist Tom Thacker, who is 42. However, with their updated lineup and their newest release, Sum 41 has received the revival they needed, and once again, they have an optimistic future ahead of them.