Flora Le's captivating storytelling immersed us in her life as if we were intimately experiencing each moment alongside her. [Photo by Sasha Dylan Bell Photography/Provided by Taylor Vardy of Ottawa Fringe.]

“I learned at a really young age that we just don’t talk about things,” Flora Le shares in the beginning of her one-woman play, Sadec 1965: A Love Story

Le offers a timeless and heartfelt story of love and loss. Presented by LabO Theatre, Sadec 1965 is a memorable, genuine tale.

Sadec 1965 follows Le’s complicated relationship with her father and its impact on her other relationships throughout life. The performance portrays her experiences as a half-Vietnamese woman navigating her identity and searching for meaning. 

After Le’s father is diagnosed with cancer, she takes a six-week long trip on her motorcycle around Vietnam in an effort to make sense of her life and father.

In his passing, she discovers 600 letters from his former Vietnamese lover. It takes five years and 13 translators to understand them all. Le begins using unhealthy relationships, drugs and food, trying to fill the void from her childhood that’s emerged once again.

Le’s captivating storytelling immersed us in her life as if we were intimately experiencing each moment alongside her. When performing as her younger self, Le’s eyes glimmered with hope as she navigated life, bumping into the same problems that come to plague her older self. 

Her narrative feels raw and familiar as if conversing with an old friend. With seamless transitions from one story to the next, she effortlessly kept us on the edge of our seats, eagerly anticipating the next chapter of her journey. 

Le skillfully utilized lighting changes to represent different life stages. Lighting dictated switches from her times as a young adult to being at her father’s bedside and her motorcycle journey across Vietnam. 

Reexploring her memories allows Le and her audiences to attribute meaning to the word “healing.”

Le effortlessly projected her voice with a confident and strong volume, filling the space with her commanding presence. Every word was enunciated with precision and clarity, ensuring that each syllable resonated with the audience. Her voice carried not only her words but her vibrant personality and genuine emotions, creating an authentic connection between her character and the audience. 

Le’s comedic timing felt natural, adding an extra layer of charm to her performance. She effortlessly evoked laughter from the audience with her endearing portrayals of the unfortunate cards she’s been dealt. Her ability to seamlessly blend comedy with her overall delivery created a delightfully engaging experience.

Flora Le left a lasting impression through her seamless transitions and skillful performance, reminding audiences of the value of love, loss and self-discovery.

Featured image by Sasha Dylan Bell Photography.