Tank and the Bangas, around 8 p.m., on July 7 at RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

Sunny Ottawa weather on July 7 spotlighted a successful second day of RBC Ottawa Bluesfest.

For many, Bluesfest starts before reaching the LeBreton Flats grounds. Bustling crowds at OC Transpo stations around Ottawa formed hours before performers took stage.

Anticipation for the nostalgic lineup kept attendees excited leading up to the first performances.

PUP, a Canadian rock band from Toronto, played first on the RBC Stage. Crowds chanted the lyrics to songs such as “Sleep in the Heat,” “If This Tour Doesn’t Kill You, I Will” and “DVP.” The energetic, upbeat vibes kicked off the night.

Southern Avenue’s Tiernii Jackson performing on RBC Ottawa Bluesfest night two. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

Meanwhile, performing at the SiriusXM stage was Grammy-nominated band, Southern Avenue. Originally from southern Tennessee, the dynamic bunch captivated audiences with incredible vocals and a lively stage presence. 

Tierinii Jackson, Southern Avenue’s lead singer, pulled on audiences’ heartstrings with her vocally powerful “We’re Gonna Make It.”

Her sister, Tikira Jackson, rocked the tambourine and provided lovely background vocals.

Next on the RBC stage was Billy Talent. The band played an array of classics including “Fallen Leaves,” and the crowd sang along loudly to their nostalgic tracks.

Tank and the Bangas performed a unique array of R&B songs on the River Stage. The band mixed together saxophones, drums, flutes, guitars and a piano.

Each instrument blended together wonderfully, creating a remarkable combination of tunes for the audience’s enjoyment.

Tank and the Bangas delivering an engaging performance on night two of RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan]

Back at the RBC Stage, the audience bopped to popular tunes like Toto’s “Africa” and KISS’ “I Was Made for Lovin’ You” playing over the speakers. These throwbacks pumped up the crowd, fostering intense anticipation for Weezer, the night’s headliner.

Each artist that played on the RBC stage on day two shared their appreciation for Weezer’s music, acknowledging the inspiration they acquired from the 2000s band.

At 9:30 p.m., Weezer enthusiastically appeared on the RBC stage and started off strong with timeless hits such as “Beverly Hills” and “Pork and Beans.”

Weezer demonstrated their far-reaching musical influence and ability to resonate with those of all ages, taking the audience on a “road trip through time.” 

Despite being an age-diverse crowd, the audience united in screaming the lyrics to almost 30-year-old songs. 

Crowd favourites included  “Island in the Sun,” “Say it ain’t so” and the much anticipated closer, “Buddy Holly.”

Nearing the end of the night, Weezer exclaimed, “It’s not a proper road trip until your parents take a photo!” 

The band then brought out a Polaroid camera and said, “Smile, kids!” before snapping two shots of the ecstatic crowd.

Weezer then briefly left the stage. All the lights shut off, which only built more audience anticipation for the grand finale of “Buddy Holly.”

Bluesfest, day two brought together rock and R&B fans of all ages for an entertaining night of musical performances.

Featured image by Cassandra Bellefeuille/The Charlatan.