Alvvays performing at the 2023 RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Mason D'Andrea/The Charlatan]

The iconic Ottawa summer music festival, RBC Ottawa Bluesfest, concluded its series of remarkable performances on July 16. 

The final day of the festival initially had a small turnout until former Radiohead celebrity Thom Yorke, now a member of The Smile, took to the stage. 

Everyone embraced Bluesfest’s ambiance, whether they were at the RBC Stage’s forefront mesmerized by the blue lights and stage fog, scattered across the LeBreton Flats grounds or in line for freshly-squeezed lemonade. 

A small crowd of Paragon Cause’s fans gathered at the start of “Something New,” a song from their 2020 album What We Started.  

Avenoir performing at the 2023 RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Mason D’Andrea/The Charlatan]

When Avenoir’s acoustic tracks began enlivening the River Stage, the crowd nestled into the cozy Sunday atmosphere, and the sunset over the river evoked a majestic sensation. 

Shameless” and Avenoir’s most recent single, “WHO DO YOU LUV,” were the most anticipated songs, eliciting a good turnout for the Edmonton-born artist.  

On the other end of the festival, a sensory experience of vibrant colours decorated the RBC Stage. Alvvays’ captivating beat complemented the profound feeling of belonging circulating the festival grounds. 

The electric feel and the calming beats duo of “Pharmacist” slowly brought a rhythmic heartbeat to the crowd. 

Alvvays’ most awaited tracks, “Easy On Your Own?” and “Not my baby,” whisked the crowd into a soul-stirring and electrifying journey.

Alvvays performing on July 16 at RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Mason D’Andrea/The Charlatan]

However, the last day of Bluesfest peaked long after the sun fell from sight. 

Congregated from all corners of LeBreton Flats, an eager crowd was stationed in front of the RBC Stage, longing for the final act of the year—The Smile.

As Tom Skinner drummed his beats in synchronization with lead-vocal Thom Yorke’s performance, the crowd burst into cheers, some jumping in sync.

The band’s performance accentuated the brightly lit RBC stage through its upbeat tunes, reaching new heights of vibrancy, excitement and intensity in the crowd. 

Pana-Vision,” “The Smoke” and “Skrting on the Surface” from the band’s 2020 album A Light for Attracting Attention brought Bluesfest alive for the last time this summer. 

Additionally, the signature essence of the band’s raw, soulful melodies was portrayed during their single “Bending Hectic.”

The Smile performing at 2023 RBC Ottawa Bluesfest. [Photo by Mason D’Andrea/The Charlatan]

Closing an incredible summer of performances, quiet whispers of anticipation for next year’s lineups could already be heard as crowds left the LeBreton Flats grounds.

Featured image by Mason D’Andrea/The Charlatan.