With his latest album, Future has finally proven himself worthy of the nickname “Future Hendrix.”

Although he outlived the 27 Club’s own Jimi Hendrix, Future has made of himself a modern day emulation of the late guitarist by demonstrating the mastery of his craft. The musician is accompanied by heavy bass lines and refined Atlanta trap beats, courtesy of frequent collaborators such as Metro Boomin, Zaytoven, and Sonny Digital.

Future’s EVOL packages his every vice and virtue along with his sonic vision into a memorable fourth album.

Beginning with the classic Future sound, the album’s first track “Ain’t No Time” reminds us that Future still hasn’t strayed away from his old trapping-out-the-bando ways.

It feels as if EVOL is everything his previous studio release, Dirty Sprite 2, was meant to be: a manifesto to Future fans stating his venture to more tender subject matter—thanks to ex-fiancée Ciara—is far behind him.

Needless to say, “Ain’t No Time” warns us that EVOL is far from being as sentimental as his sophomore effort Honest, however it is less saturated with filler like DS2.

At times, Future deviates from his Houston trill and Atlanta trap sound on EVOL with tracks such as “Lil Haiti Baby” where the rapper reveals his more aggressive lyrics, while his use of his own vocals as a melodic instrument truly showcases his talents as an artist. The track, among others, also proves that Future’s “mumble rap” can compliment any instrumental it is paired with.

Future shamelessly accepts his addictions and hedonistic behaviour through explicit account of details in the majority of his songs. Past songs such as “Rich $ex,” “56 Nights,” and “Fuck Up Some Commas” glorify his indulgent and “Hendrix” lifestyle, whereas songs such as “Codeine Crazy” come off as a cry for help with lyrics like “I’m an addict and I can’t even hide it.”

It seems as if EVOL offers Future time for reflection, seeing in himself a the epitome of godly status and absolutely loving it.

From songs such as “Fly Shit Only” to “In Her Mouth,” which really show the rapper’s flamboyance and artistic passion, Future expresses his sex, drugs and rock ‘n’ roll lifestyle sonically by connecting to listeners’ visual sensory (think Future’s Purple Reign and Jimi’s “Purple Haze”).

Future’s past albums have also attempted to achieve this, yet EVOL really shows the time it has taken for Future to refine his artistry all whilst allowing his album to stay consistent in its amount of bangers.