The company of Hamilton perform at the NAC
BAC's company of Hamilton perform at the NAC after two years of pandemic-related delays. [Photo by Joan Marcus via Broadway Across Canada]

Broadway Across Canada (BAC)’s production of Hamilton was executed to perfection, complete with a wildly talented cast, production crew and orchestra. After pandemic-related delays postponed the show’s run in Ottawa by nearly two years, a live performance of this Broadway hit was well worth the wait.

Written by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this sung-through musical combines pop, R&B and soul music to tell the story of the life and death of U.S. founding father Alexander Hamilton. Since its Broadway debut in 2016, the musical has earned several accolades including 11 Tony awards and the 2016 Pulitzer Prize for Drama.

Hamilton’s stellar reputation surely preceded it as a sold-out crowd gathered for its long-awaited opening night at the National Arts Centre (NAC) on July 13.

In the original Broadway production, Miranda intentionally cast racialized actors in the roles of white historical figures such as Thomas Jefferson and George Washington. BAC’s production stayed true to Miranda’s intentions as an ethnically-diverse cast took the stage, conveying that a country’s history is an open book that everyone is capable of writing themselves into.

Playing Hamilton, a role originally brought to life by Miranda himself, Pierre Jean Gonzalez brought confidence and energy to the stage. Starting out as a giddy immigrant eager to spark a revolution during “My Shot,” Gonzalez transitioned flawlessly as Hamilton took on emotional burdens. He transmitted agony and heartbreak through the lines of “Stay Alive – Reprise” and “It’s Quiet Uptown.”

Playing Hamilton’s adversary Aaron Burr, Jared Dixon delivered his lines with passion and meaning as he narrated many parts of the story from Hamilton’s shadow. While the music and other actors sometimes overpowered his vocals in the first act, Dixon found his rhythm in the second with a powerful performance of “The Room Where It Happens.” Following this song, Dixon remained a vocal powerhouse for the remainder of the night.

In the role of King George III, Neil Haskell had big shoes to fill to re-create Jonathan Groff’s Tony-nominated interpretation from the original Broadway production. Haskell had the audience laughing from the first lines of his solo, “You’ll Be Back” with sarcastic humour and clear annunciation. Despite his character’s short 10 minutes of stage time, Haskell’s performance was one of the most memorable of the night.

Warren Egypt Franklin was a showstopper in the roles of Marquis de Lafayette and Thomas Jefferson. Playing two characters known for their high energy and fast-paced lines, Franklin delivered on all fronts. In the song “Guns and Ships,” original Broadway cast member Daveed Diggs holds the record for the fastest lines on Broadway, rapping 19 words in just three seconds. Franklin stood up to this tall order, keeping up with the quick pace of the song while still annunciating each word clearly.

Originally choreographed by Andy Blankenbuehler, the show was polished and smooth, complimenting Miranda’s writing by providing a visual narrative. Most notably, during “Satisfied,” the dancers seamlessly rewound their movements from the previous number on the set’s rotating turntables to signify going back in time.

As the cast belted out the last few emotional notes of “Who Lives, Who Dies, Who Tells Your Story,” audience members were quick to rise from their seats to greet the cast with a standing ovation and a roar of cheers.

Hamilton was fast-paced, lively and stunning. The cast and production team went above and beyond to deliver a jaw-dropping performance of one of Broadway’s favourite musicals.

Hamilton continues its run at the NAC until July 31. Tickets and showtimes are available on the NAC’s website.

Featured image by Joan Marcus.