The study’s target group is university and college-age women. Photo illustration by Callum Micucci

McGill University has launched a study testing the effectiveness of using lube to block the transmission of human papillomavirus (HPV).

Known as Divine 9, the product being tested is a water-based lubricant containing carrageenan, an ingredient derived from red algal seeweed.

A previous study by the National Cancer Institute showed carrageenan inhibited HPV transmission.

Dr. Eduardo Franco, the director of cancer epidemiology at McGill said these findings are what motivated the new study involving 465 women. The study is being funded by the Canadian Institute of Health Research (CIHR) and is independent of the company that makes Divine 9.

The study’s target group is university and college-age women.

Carleton University student Samantha Cooke said she may use the product in the future, but stresses that she would wait until the study is complete to see how effective it is.

She said she wouldn’t be opposed to trying a lubricant that protects against HPV, but for now she is sticking with birth control and prefers a physical barrier such as a condom.

Used during sexual activity, Franco expects the lubricant to be over 50 per cent effective in blocking the virus, but he says if used properly, it has the potential to provide complete protection.

Franco said the lubricant can provide total protection from HPV, while the HPV vaccine Gardasil protects against only four strains of the virus. Although it may be more effective, the lubricant must be reapplied each time there is sexual contact, whereas the vaccine can last for years.

But not everyone is convinced yet.

“Would I take it? No, because I haven’t heard of it,” said Diana Marunda, a University of Ottawa graduate. Marunda said she thinks the Gardasil vaccination is still the best choice.

Franco considers the lubricant to be very safe, and said the university worked for six months with Health Canada to approve it. Carrageenan provides protection by binding with the structure that allows the virus to reach cells in the cervix. It is commonly used as a food thickener, and is found in products such as ice cream and beer.

The Canadian Foundation for Women’s Health reports that 1,300 to 1,500 women are diagnosed with cervical cancer each year in Canada and 257-million women are infected worldwide according to the World Health Organization.

A direct cause of the cancer, HPV was found by a previous McGill study to be present in 55 per cent of university-age women and men.

Franco aims to conduct further studies on the international level, and work towards making the product accessible in developing countries where vaccinations are often unaffordable and inaccessible.

Another further step he says, would be “establishing a relationship with condom production companies,” in order to ensure that condoms are lubricated with carageenan, he said.

Although researchers believe Divine 9 protects against the transmission of HPV, it does not act as a contraceptive or prevent other sexually-transmitted infections or diseases.

Jeff Hawkins, director of sales at Divine 9, said their product isn’t available over-the-counter in Canada yet, but that they hope to have it on sale soon.