(Photo illustration by Arjun Birdi)

Fewer women are choosing science, technology, engineering, and mathematics (STEM) and computer science programs compared to their male counterparts, according to a new study by Statistics Canada.

The study found that those who perform better in school as a teenager are more likely to choose university paths in these fields. But there are no indications that young women are achieving lower marks than young men.

The study shows that when comparing males and females in high school with an 80–89 per cent average in mathematics, 52 per cent of males entered into STEM programs, while only 22 per cent of females enrolled.

Women represented 39 per cent of STEM university graduates aged 25-34 in 2011.

Outside of STEM fields, women accounted for two-thirds of graduates in this age group, but represented less than a quarter of all engineering graduates and just 30 per cent of mathematics and computer science graduates.

Darcy Hango, a social science researcher at Statistics Canada said the disparity could be daunting for women already enrolled in STEM programs.

“Isolation could potentially lead to a greater risk of switching programs,” he said via email.

Hango said previous research has been done to explain why young women are choosing other programs over STEM options.

“It is not ability in math or science that is keeping young women out of STEM programs,” he said. “The argument goes something like young women may shy away from such programs where they may be less likely to combine work and family.”

In the science and technology fields, women do hold the majority enrolment, particularly in the nursing programs, although Hango said he was unable to explain why. 

Erin Lyons, a second-year engineering student at the University of Ottawa, said the realities of the study are very apparent.

“It definitely is telling . . . the study just goes to show that this lack of women in stem has absolutely nothing to do with academic ability,” Lyons said. “Being female in this program definitely makes me stand out.”

Lyons said the lack of female students in these programs should not be a deterring factor.

“Whatever you want to pursue should be what you study,” she said. “I don’t think gender should play a role at all.”