As discussions between Western University’s student council and campus paper continue, many have raised questions about political involvement affecting campus press freedom. The Charlatan takes a look at relationships between other university newspapers and their student unions.

The Ubyssey – University of British Columbia

Funded and published by UBC’s student union, the Alma Matter Society (AMS) for 76 years, The Ubyssey was shut down by the union in 1994 after controversial material appeared in its bi-annual spoof edition, titled The Ufeces. The AMS saw The Ubyssey as “a radical newspaper based on its own political aims,” according to former culture editor and current staff member Ginny Monaco. The newspaper was brought back as an autonomous body a year later and has functioned independently ever since, receiving its funding through advertising and a $6.14 student levy. Monaco says that since returning independently, the newspaper office has been located in a “dungeon-y, windowless office” that fits 15-20 staff members, which the AMS grants in exchange for publishing a half-page ad for the union every year.

The Silhouette – McMaster University

The Silhouette functions as a service of the McMaster Students Union (MSU), despite controversy in 2006 that saw former editor-in-chief Chris Jaic fired by the union, according to current editor-in-chief Sam Colbert. At the time, there were “problems around The Silhouette having concerns about editorial autonomy,” Colbert said, noting that Jaic’s firing produced “allegations that it had something to do with an editorial matter.” The Silhouette’s space continues to be provided by the MSU fitting 17 workstations in their student centre office. “Because they do create our budget and our finances run through them, I think the student union might feel it’s a bit of an awkward relationship sometimes,” Colbert said.

The Queen’s Journal – Queen’s University

An editorially autonomous newspaper, the Queen’s Journal is partly funded by the Alma Matter Society (AMS), the university’s student government, but receives the vast majority of its funding from its own independent advertising, according to co-editor-in-chief Katherine Fernandez-Blance. Like most of the campus’ larger clubs and committees, the Journal is given a house on campus to carry out its functions, fitting 30 staff members and containing all operations except printing. Fernandez-Blance says that although the newspaper’s relationship with the union is at times “tenuous,” especially when covering stories that portray the AMS in a negative light, she has never felt a threat to freedom of the press. “We’re never in the position where we would worry that our funding or our entire operations would be at risk if we published an article,” she said.

The Fulcrum – University of Ottawa

The Fulcrum became an independent newspaper in 2005 after an attempt by the Student Federation of the University of Ottawa (SFUO) to pull an issue off the stands, according to editor-in-chief Kristyn Filip. Although she characterizes the newspaper’s relationships with both the university administration and the SFUO today as “healthy and respectful,” Filip notes that she occasionally receives an email from the union “expressing their displeasure” with certain articles. The Fulcrum receives some funding through student levies of approximately $3.00 per semester, but the majority comes from its own advertising revenues. It currently has an office space that spans three floors and “adequately” holds 12 staff members.

The McGill Daily – McGill University

The McGill Daily and francophone newspaper Le Délit are both published by the Daily Publications Society, which is independent from both the student union and the university, according to McGill Daily coordinating editor Queen Arsem-O’Malley. While Arsem-O’Malley describes the Daily’s relationship with the Students’ Society of McGill University (SSMU) as “fairly cordial,” she notes that the newspaper’s lease with the union is contingent on signing a memorandum of agreement with the university in order to use its name. “We were locked out of the office in the early 2000s due to lease disputes,” she said. “The university is very quick to threaten legal action, which has certainly led to having issues with them.” The Daily and Le Délit have a combined 30 editors that fit in their offices. Two-thirds of their funding comes from a $6-per-semester fee separate from tuition, in addition to advertisement revenues.