UMTC's female orgasm event emphasizes the link between “befriending your body” and experiencing physical pleasure. (Photo by Willie Carroll)

A sexual education synopsis about the female orgasm is coming to the University of Minnesota’s Twin Cities (UMTC) campus April 10.

“Orgasm aficionados and beginners of all genders are welcome to come learn about everything from multiple orgasms to that mysterious G-spot,” the webpage said.

The presentation is co-hosted by sex educators Marshall Miller and Kate Weinberg, from sex and relationship education group Sex Discussed Here! according to UMTC’s event webpage.

As the most popular program offered by Sex Discussed Here!, the event emphasizes individuals making sexual decisions that are right for them, analysis of the messages women receive about their bodies and sexuality from the media, religion and families, body image, and the link between “befriending your body” and experiencing physical pleasure.

There is also an opportunity to talk openly in small groups during part of the program, according to the website.

The cost of the course is free to all students at the school.

The Female Orgasm has had success across campuses such as the University of Kentucky and Washington State University, according to the website.

Beth Robertson, former Carleton women’s and gender history professor and current doctorat candidate for history, said she would love to see Carleton have a similar event, but in the context of a larger series that would include sexuality, the body and interpersonal relationships.

“This would be an excellent avenue in which to explore the importance of pleasure, desire, and consent,” Robertson said.

She said the course could allow women the chance to learn from each other about their own bodies and see what they do and do not find comfortable and pleasurable, whether with a partner, or alone.

“Orgasms can be a very private and personal encounter with one’s self,” Robertson said.

While online information is a valuable resource, Robertson said the program would allow an open line of face-to-face communication.

“[It would] tear down some of the inhibitions that women feel when talking about their own bodies and desires,” she said.

Second-year film and communications student Andrea Wakim said she thinks the presentation would be a great event.
 “Women should be empowered to talk about their bodies openly, and I’m sure this information would be beneficial regardless of whether people are wanting to use this information for current or future use,” Wakim said.
However, Wakim said the female orgasm isn’t necessarily a topic the university should focus its funds on.
“I don’t think this event would be a waste, but when I think about the vast amount of topics that one could choose when thinking about hosting an event to benefit Carleton students, this would be not be very high on my list,” she said.