Carleton Ravens guard Dorcas Buisa (7) points during a Feb. 28 OUA semifinal game against the uOttawa Gee-Gees at the Ravens' Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Owen Spillios Hunter/The Charlatan]

For the third time this season, the Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team tipped off against the uOttawa Gee-Gees, this time with tickets to the OUA and U Sports championships on the line. Despite a competitive start, the Ravens eventually dominated their cross-city rivals and emerged victorious 75-51.

Up next for Carleton is the OUA Critelli Cup championship game against the Queen’s Gaels — a rematch of last year’s OUA and U Sports finals.

Regardless of the next game’s outcome, Carleton’s win against the Gee-Gees secured them a ticket to the U Sports women’s basketball national championship, set to take place March 7 in Edmonton.

‘We all understand that there is no next time if we lose’

In a tough battle from start to finish, the Ravens had to earn every point while containing a hungry Ottawa team from matching them on the other side of the court.

The first quarter was the most competitive and the Ravens had an especially difficult time attacking the paint with many forced turnovers.

After the first quarter, the Ravens were tied 13-13 with their rivals.

Ravens head coach Dani Sinclair, who was named OUA coach of the year the same day, was not satisfied with her team’s start. 

Carleton Ravens head coach Dani Sinclair yells from the sidelines during a Feb. 28 OUA semifinal game against the uOttawa Gee-Gees at the Ravens’ Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Owen Spillios Hunter/The Charlatan]
“One of the points we went over before the game was not getting off to a slow start, but we obviously did so that was something that we had to adjust as the game went on and I think we did a good job of that,” Sinclair said.

Despite the eventual win, Sinclair was still critical of her team’s performance and said she will be making changes before the final on March 2.

Going into the second quarter, Carleton looked like an entirely new team. The Ravens’ defence was on top of their game, holding the Gee-Gees to just 14 points while Carleton’s offence scored 24. Jacquline Urban, who finished the game with a whopping 24 points and 17 rebound double-doubles, scored eight points in the second quarter and another 12 in the third.

Late in the third quarter, Ravens guard Kali Pocrnic went down with an injury as she clutched her ankle and was helped off the court. Pocrnic has been vital to the Ravens’ success all year, including in the quarterfinals against the McMaster Marauders, when she broke the program record for single-game points.

Carleton Ravens guard Kali Pocrnic (4) recieves medical attention after injuring her ankle during a Feb. 28 OUA semifinal game against the uOttawa Gee-Gees at the Ravens’ Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Owen Spillios Hunter/The Charlatan]
According to Sinclair, she’ll be ready for the final.

“She’s fine,” Sinclair said. “It’s nothing serious, so she’ll be ready to play in the championship.”

Going into the final quarter, Carleton led by a 61-37 score. Both teams only scored 14 points each, giving Carleton the last laugh.

The Ravens’ depth up and down the roster was noticeable. Guards Teresa Donato, Tatyanna Burke and Pocrnic all contributed double-digit point totals. 

Carleton Ravens guard Teresa Donato (8) drives to the basket during a Feb. 28 OUA semifinal game against the uOttawa Gee-Gees at the Ravens’ Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Owen Spillios Hunter/The Charlatan]
Carleton outscored uOttawa 42-16 in the paint throughout the game, which was a deciding factor in the game.

“I think it’s very important to stay composed in the game,” Urban said. “We understand that in these situations, one mistake can break our entire season. It’s easy for me because my teammates are incredible. I don’t think I had one bad pass.”

Sinclair also emphasized the mental aspect of the game, especially in the post-season.

“Playoff basketball brings a different mindset for everyone,” Sinclair said. “We all understand that there is no next time if we lose so adjusting and coming up with a proper game plan is critical in these scenarios.”

‘We have to go out there and win again’

Along with the victory, there is room for a little more celebration as Pocrnic and Burke were named OUA all-stars prior to the game. 

Burke made it clear that the job isn’t finished until they beat Queen’s.

“Of course, I’m happy to have my skills recognized but at the same time, I can’t focus on that too much because we have to go out there and win again,” Burke said. “Our main objective is to win another championship, so this isn’t on my mind much.”

The final game against Queen’s will tip off at the Ravens’ Nest March 2 at 7 p.m.

Featured image by Owen Spillios Hunter/The Charlatan.