Carleton Ravens forward Jacqueline Urban (22) leaps to collect a rebound during a Jan. 27 game against the Waterloo Warriors at the Ravens' Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]

It was business as usual for the Carleton Ravens women’s basketball team as they racked up 82-39 and 74-48 home wins over the Wilfrid Laurier Golden Hawks and Waterloo Warriors, respectively.

These wins come at a crucial time late in the season when teams are in the last push toward the playoffs. For Carleton, making the playoffs is just the first step. Qualifying for the national championships in Edmonton is expected.

Carleton Ravens forward Jacqueline Urban (22) battles Waterloo Warriors guard Summer Pahl (15) for possession during a Jan. 27 game against the Waterloo Warriors at the Ravens’ Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]

Jan. 26: Burke shines in Laurier blowout

The Ravens started the game firing on all cylinders, outscoring the Golden Hawks 29-8 in the first quarter. Carleton’s defence was spearheaded by forward Jacqueline Urban and guards Dorcas Buisa and Tatyanna Burke. All three showed their defensive prowess with multiple steals and blocks. Burke, in particular, notched four steals and one block during the game.

Carleton’s guard duo of Teresa Donato and Kali Pocrnic were unstoppable as they combined for 21 points early in the game. Pocrnic was perfect from three-point range, going 4-for-4 in the first quarter.

It was this strong defensive front that held Laurier to less than 10 points in two of the game’s four quarters. Laurier’s highest-scoring quarter yielded a measly 13 points.

The second quarter saw an even distribution of defence and offence as no Ravens player scored more than four points, yet Carleton outscored Laurier 20-10. It was a textbook masterclass in basketball from the Ravens every single minute.

Throughout the season and into this game, the Ravens have made a point of out-rebounding their opponents, allowing no opportunity for second-chance points. Burke led this charge with 14 rebounds throughout the night.

The offensive side of the court was equally efficient as Carleton surpassed 80 points for the 10th time this season. 

The Ravens never took their foot off the gas, denying any possibility of a Laurier comeback. Pocrnic and Donato both finished the game with 20 points, while Burke chipped in 14 points of her own in a statement game that separated contender from pretender.

Jan. 27: Ravens flex two-way game over Waterloo 

Following their massive victory over Laurier, the Ravens then welcomed the Golden Hawks’ neighbours, the Waterloo Warriors.

This matchup tested the Ravens on both sides of the court — an unfamiliar scenario for the defending OUA and national champions.

The first half was closely contested, as Waterloo ended the first quarter up by two points and tied at the half. The game opened up in favour of Carleton in the second half, but the Warriors presented a real challenge.

In the first quarter, Carleton struggled to find the hoop as they only shot 29 per cent from the field and missed every three-point shot. Both teams went 0-for-12 beyond the arc.

Urban led the Ravens’ scoring after the first quarter with four points and at halftime, Zerina Duvnjak led the offensive drive with five points.

However, the story of the Ravens’ first half was their fundamental understanding of defensive basketball, allowing them to keep the game within reach even as their offence lagged behind..

The Ravens came out for the second half invigorated and looking like an entirely new team. They scored 30 points in the third quarter — more than the entire first half — while keeping the Warriors at bay with just 19.

Carleton’s shooting improved to a tremendous 55 per cent by way of Pocrnic, Burke and guard Kyana-Jade Poulin combining for 21 points. Burke also recorded an impressive three rebounds.

The fourth quarter was by far the Ravens’ best as it represented the perfect balance between offence and defence. Carleton scored 23 points and kept Waterloo to seven points on 20-per-cent shooting from the field to seal the win. 

Carleton Ravens and Waterloo Warriors players watch the ball go out of play during a Jan. 27 game at the Ravens’ Nest in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan]

Up next

After a busy January in which Carleton has outscored their opponents by a ridiculous combined score of 573-330, the Ravens will face a much greater challenge Feb. 2 as they take on their cross-town rival uOttawa Gee-Gees in the Capital Hoops Classic at 6 p.m at TD Place Arena

In last year’s rendition of the Capital Hoops Classic, Carleton trumped uOttawa 66-60, which marked their ninth Capital Hoops win over the Garnet and Grey.

Featured image by Anya Swettenham/The Charlatan.