(Photo by Nisita Ratnasari)

The Carleton Ravens men’s hockey team advanced to the Canadian Interuniversity Sport (CIS) University Cup with a victory over the Lakehead University Thunderwolves March 15. Now they will play for a national championship at the University of Saskatchewan March 20-23.

From the outset of the game, the Ravens set a high offensive tempo and ultimately took the Ontario University Athletics (OUA) bronze-medal game by a score of 7-4.

“We came out the way we wanted to in the first and the crowd certainly helped us,” Ravens head coach Marty Johnston said. “Give the guys credit, they rallied and found a way. At the end of the day, we’re where we want to be and we’re going to Saskatoon.”

The Ravens set the tone early, with forward Damian Cross scoring a goal in the first minute of the game.

Ravens forward and recipient of the OUA East most sportsmanlike player of the year award, Joey West then added two goals of his own in the first period, extending the lead to 3-0.

Forward Mitch Porowski scored with under a minute to play in the first frame to build the lead to 4-0.

“Going into the second, we got a little bit high and they kind of took advantage of that. I think one of our game plans was to come up on these guys early,” Porowski said.

The Thunderwolves scored three quick goals in the first four minutes of the second period to stop the Ravens’ run and cut the lead to one.

“We kind of broke down on two plays where we could have done a better job, but at the end of the day they’re a good team, they’re here for a reason and they capitalized,” Johnston said.

“From then on, we were a little bit more responsible.”

Porowski added his second goal of the game midway through the second period, depositing a rebound past the Thunderwolves goaltender and extending the Ravens’ lead to 5-3.

Ravens rookie forward Michael McNamee continued his offensive playoff charge with a wrap-around goal, sending Carleton into the third period with a 6-3 lead.

For the second straight period, Lakehead began with a strong offensive push, adding a goal less than four minutes into the frame.

In the end, the Ravens proved to be too much for the Thunderwolves, as Ravens forward Corey Durocher closed out the game with an empty net goal with under a minute to play, sealing the Carleton win 7-4.

It truly was a well-rounded team effort as Porowski and McNamee each had three points in the win, while West lead the way with two goals and two assists.

“I just have to give it to all lines and all players for just giving it their all. I think it was a huge team game,” Porowski said following the victory.

Ravens forwards Joe Pleckaitis, Linden Bahm, Damian Cross, and Corey Durocher also added two points each in the victory.

The Ravens will be travelling to Saskatoon later in the week to play for Carleton’s first national championship in men’s hockey.

Johnston said the work isn’t over.

“We’ll enjoy tonight and give the guys the day off and then we’ll be back at it on Monday,” Johnston said.