The Carleton Ravens women’s rugby team went out with a bang at their final home game, defeating the Bishop’s Gaiters 34-19 on Oct. 11.

Despite a slow season for the Ravens, the team was able to pull through at their last home game and put a win under their belt.

The Ravens got off to a rough start as the Gaiters’ skilled outside centre Erika Scott scored the first try of the game and—paired with a successful conversion—brought the score to 7-0 in just the first minutes of the game.

Ravens player Olivia Merritt was quick to respond with a break through the Gaiters’ defence and landed a try in their end zone. A successful conversion kick by the Ravens’ Bailey Dean tied the score at 7-7, just minutes after the Gaiters’ first try.

Going into the game, head coach Denis Blondin said the team knew that in order to win, they would have to shut down Scott and control her influence on the field.

“We knew that Bishop’s had a good inside centre, so we had to try and lower the impact that she had on the game,” Blondin said. “We wanted to make sure we played physical and fast and wide.”

Just minutes after the Ravens scored their first try, the Gaiters were able to make a break and score their second try of the game. An unsuccessful conversion halted their lead at 12-7.

Unfazed by the Gaiters’ try, Merritt was able to find a gap in their defence and run it into the end zone to score her second try of the game. The first half wrapped up with a score of 12-12.

Blondin said although he was a bit disappointed finishing the first half tied with the Gaiters, he knew if the team kept their heads in the game they’d come out victorious.

“We knew that if we stayed with the game plan we’d come out with the win,” Blondin said. “I think there’s definitely some players who were motivated to get the win.”

Merritt managed to power through the Gaiters’ defence early into the second half, followed shortly after by Raven Ellen Spannagel, who scored her first try of the game and brought the Ravens’ lead to a comfortable 22-12.

Despite another try scored by the Gaiters, the Ravens had a strong hold on the game with Merritt bringing in two more tries by the end of the game, scoring an impressive five tries in total and leading the team to a 34-19 victory.

Blondin applauded Merritt for her performance on the field.

“I think she played with a lot of confidence which is good,” Blondin said. “She’s very confident in her ability to score and have an impact in the game.”

The Ravens will be facing off against the Sherbrooke Vert et Or for their final game of the season, and Blondin said the team will have to continue working on the speed of their game.

“If we’re able to play a bit faster and more aggressively on defence, I think we’ll have a good game,” Blondin noted.

The Ravens will be on the road for their final game at Sherbrooke on Oct. 18.