Home Sports Men’s soccer battle Toronto

Men’s soccer battle Toronto

81
Photo by Zachary Novack.

The Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team played two games this past weekend, coming up with a 2-0 victory over the University of Toronto (U of T) Varsity Blues and a 0-0 draw against the Ryerson Rams. Both games were played at MNP Park.

In the game against U of T on Oct. 10 the Ravens scored early—in the 11th minute—with a hard-fought goal by Andrew Bryan. The Ravens continued to dominate the game, with plenty of offensive opportunities while limiting U of T’s scoring chances.

“Scoring early definitely helped us out—there was strong performances all around. Every player stepped on that field played a great game for us, so I think that was a great team effort,” said Ravens captain and defender Michael Calof.

Carleton finished the first half holding on to their 1-0 lead. The Ravens started strong in the second half with a close goal opportunity by Mekonen Lovemore-White.

Bryan came through again, scoring the second goal of the match.

Carleton goalie Felix Daigle held the Ravens in the game with two key saves at the end of the game.

The Ravens finished with a 2-0 victory.

The Ravens faced off the next day against their Ontario University Athletics (OUA) East rival, the Ryerson Rams. There were few offensive chances for either team in the first half. Daigle came through once again, making a big save and keeping the game 0-0.

“Ryerson is a phenomenal team, definite great game from our keeper Felix. He made quite a few saves for us and they definitely tested him, but he was up for the challenge,” Calof said.

It looked as though the Rams had scored the first goal of the match but the shot was deemed to be offside.

Calof said it was definitely tough playing back-to-back games against two tough teams but it was good training for the team.

“It’s a tough one, playing a team that’s fresh after we just played a game, but you know, it’s a good character game for our team,” Calof said.

In the second half, Ryerson continued to push with one shot ringing off the post. The Ravens had a few chances themselves but couldn’t finish.

The game ended with a 0-0 tie.

Calof said they have their work cut out for them for the rest of the season, as they will be facing more tough teams—some they have a history with.

“We’re closing out the season against UOIT [University of Ontario Institute of Technology] and Trent a couple weeks forward, which is also not going to be an easy trip. UOIT beat us out last year in the playoffs,” Calof said.

The Ravens sit in third place of the OUA East behind U of T and the first place Rams.

The Ravens will play again on Oct. 14 at 7 p.m. against the Queen’s Gaels.