Ontario University Athletics Men's Soccer game between the Toronto Varsity Blues and the Carleton Ravens held on Sunday, September 3, 2023 at TAAG Park at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Marc Lafleur/Carleton Ravens]

In their first match of the season, the Carleton Ravens men’s soccer team narrowly defeated the University of Toronto Varsity Blues 2-1 Sept. 3 at TAAG Park.

The win was the first for new Ravens head coach Marcelo Plada, who the team has seemingly rallied around to foster a close-knit team culture. The players celebrated their coach’s first win with a Gatorade shower, drenching Plada on the hot September evening.

According to midfielder Luca Piccioli, who scored the winning goal Sunday afternoon, he and his teammates have become closer under the new coach.

“[Plada] has brought a crazy aspect of being close together,” Piccioli said. “Everyone is family.”

First half

The Ravens flew as the game began, dominating the first few minutes of the game and forcing the Blues to backpedal. As a relatively new group of players, the Ravens were able to orchestrate an organized press and build up play from the back. 

The Ravens’ defensive structure was difficult for Toronto to break down and their quick attack gave their opposition problems. 

In the 17th minute of action, it paid off.

Beginning with defender Moses Kafeero, the ball was played forward and after a flurry of passes, a through ball was played by Piccioli to rookie winger Amadou Kone. 

With the ball on the right side of the field, Kone beat a Blues defender with a feint and played a grounded ball into the box. The ball took a deflection off an opposing player and flew past the unsuspecting goalkeeper, who dove to stop the cross. 

Although the final touch was not off his foot, the goal was Kone’s and Carleton led 1-0. 

Plada said Kone demonstrated “confidence and courage” for a young first-year player in his U Sports debut.

Shortly after the goal, Toronto found their form and the field tilted the other way. With less than a minute remaining in the first half, the ball was coughed up by the Ravens’ defense and found the foot of Blues forward Michael Maslanka. He beat the outstretched hands of Ravens goalkeeper Tyler David to tie the match.

Second half

The furious pace continued into the second half and in the 61st minute, Piccioli played an over-the-top ball to midfielder Kevin Kaba, who was on an inverted run. Kaba was met with heavy contact from a Blues defender in the box, resulting in a penalty.

“Kevin [closed] down one of their biggest threats on the wing,” Plada said. “He did a fabulous job [and] created the penalty for us.”

Stepping up to the spot, Piccioli placed the ball in the bottom right corner, sending the Blues goalkeeper the opposite way. 

Piccioli’s marker proved to be the winner, but dangerous chances and close calls continued throughout the match. 

In the final 10 minutes, the Ravens were put on their heels by an aggressive Toronto offence, but the home team held strong, highlighted by impressive performances from Kafeero and defender Raphaël Garcia.

The Carleton Ravens celebrate their win against the Toronto Varsity Blues in Ontario University Athletics Men’s Soccer game held on Sunday, September 3, 2023 at TAAG Park at Carleton University in Ottawa, Ont. [Photo by Marc Lafleur/Carleton Ravens]

‘Keeping the energy’

Coach Plada commended his team for starting off the season on such a strong note.

“The last couple weeks they’ve been training really hard, now they’re basking in the reward of winning,” he said.

Plada said improving mental performance was an important aspect of preparing for the season.

“We’ve hired someone to come in and work the players on the mental aspects of the game which are just as important as the physical, technical or tactical,” he said.

The early results were overwhelmingly positive, as the Ravens were able to keep their focus as the pressure mounted against them in the final minutes.

The Ravens will travel to Kingston, Ont. to take on the Queen’s University Gaels Sept. 8 at Richardson Stadium. Kaba said positivity is the key to taking home three points from their next game.

“Keeping the energy, being positive around the field,” Kaba said. “I feel like that is going to have a big impact on our game.”

Featured image by Marc Lafleur.